Viktor Korchnoi, regarded as one the greatest chess players, passed away on 6 June 2016 in Wohlen, Switzerland. He was 85.
Korchnoi played in three matches that produced the World Champion, but in each case lost to Anatoly Karpov. It made Korchnoi the strongest player never to have won the title.
About Viktor Korchnoi
• Viktor Korchnoi was a professional chess grandmaster and author.
• He was born in Leningrad, and learned chess from his father at the age of six.
• He is considered one of the strongest players never to have become World Chess Champion.
• He defected to the Netherlands in 1976 and later resided in Switzerland for many years.
• He was a candidate for the World Championship on ten occasions.
• He was also a four-time USSR chess champion, a five-time member of Soviet teams that won the European championship, and a six-time member of Soviet teams that won the Chess Olympiad.
• In September 2006, he won the World Senior Chess Championship.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 6 June 2016