The Chhattisgarh Government on June 18, 2018 approved the merger of `shikshakarmi' with the state school education department. The move would come into effect from July 1.
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Raman Singh in Raipur.
The decision is expected to benefit around 1.50 lakh shikshakarmi who are currently working under Panchayats and urban local bodies.
• In the first phase, the merger of 1.03 lakh shikshakarmi who have completed eight years of service will be carried out from July 1.
• The remaining 48,000 shikshakarmi will become eligible for merger into the school education department as and when they complete eight years of service.
• The move would entitle the shikshakarmi to avail benefits of the recommendations of the pay commission such as pay scale, allowances, compassionate appointment, promotions and transfers, just like the regular teachers.
• The salary of the teachers after the merger would also increase by Rs 7,000 to Rs 12,000.
• The merged teachers would from now onwards be known as Teacher (LB) cadre and their management as well as control would be with the School Education Department instead of the Panchayat Department.
• The decision will, however, put a burden of Rs 1,346 crore on the exchequer. This additional financial burden would be cleared through the supplementary budget to be tabled in the monsoon session of State Assembly.
The Shikshakarmi are educational workers/ teachers appointed on honorarium basis by the panchayat bodies and they form the major part of the teachers in the schools.
The merger fulfils the long pending demands of these contractual teachers, as they had been raising the demand for absorption of their services in regular posts, which were lying vacant in the education department.
The teachers had also been protesting for equal pay for equal work and implementation of the seventh pay commission for them.
Till now, the state government had not shown any possibility of their absorption and instead had ordered for recruitment of new teachers in place of the striking teachers.