The Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan on 8 December 2016 launched the Haritha Keralam Mission in Thiruvananthapuram. It is a comprehensive programme to make the state clean, protect its water sources and soil.
The Mission aims at creating new development perspectives by maximum utilization of opportunities through waste management, water resources and agricultural development.
Eminent Carnatic vocalist and playback singer K J Yesudas is the Brand Ambassador of the mission.
Key highlights of the mission
- The project aims to clear and remove waste from all the water bodies in the state.
- It ensures disposal of solid waste and removal of waste water.
- The mission also targets at increasing the area of land under cultivation.
- As a part of the mission, the government will conduct a survey covering 60 lakh houses, to collect data about existing waste management systems in the state.
- It is the first of the four mega missions planned by the Left Democratic Front government. The health, housing and education missions will be launched subsequently.
- Among the immediate programs that will be launched include the cleaning of vacant lands which will be used for vegetable cultivation.
- Also, a comprehensive waste management plan will be launched to collect, separate and recycle waste in panchayats and municipalities.