Current Affairs in Short: 01 October 2019
The Supreme Court partially recalled the decision of a two-member bench to dilute the provisions of the SC/ST Act.
Weight Loss can cause type-2 diabetes: Study
• The University of Cambridge has found in a study that people who achieve 10 percent weight loss in the first five years have greatest chance of type-2 diabetes.
• As per the statistics released by the University of Cambridge, 400 million people come into contact with type-2 diabetes every year.
• Type-2 diabetes increases the risk of heart disease, amputations, blindness and stroke.
Kaushal Dharma won Maldives International Challenge Badminton Title
• Indian shuttler Kaushal Dharma has recently won the title of Maldives International Challenge. Kaushal Dharmamer defeated Cyril Verma (21-13 21-18) in the final.
• This is the second title of the season of Kaushal Dharma.
• Indian players were involved in four of the five title matches on the final day of the competition but Kaushal Dharma was the only winner.
Supreme Court amends own order about SC/ST Act
• The Supreme Court partially recalled the decision of a two-member bench to dilute the provisions of the SC/ST Act.
• Now an FIR can be registered under this act without investigation. Experts said that the decision was taken not due to cast system but because of constitutional requirements.
• A two-member bench in March 2018 diluted the provisions of the SC/ST law, but the central government requested the court to reconsider the order.
Govt puts a ban on onion export
• The Union Government banned the export of all varieties of the onions to increase the stock of the onion in the country.
• The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) under the Ministry of Commerce said in the notification that all types of onions have been banned with immediate effect.
• The government has announced in the latest notification that retail traders can store 100 quintals while wholesale traders can store up to 500 quintals of onions.