Current Affairs in Short: 09 August 2019
One nation One Ration Card Scheme launched today by Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan.
After Samjhauta, Pakistan suspends Thar Express
• Pakistan’s Railway Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad announced that Thar Express services (Jodhpur-Karachi) will be suspended. Earlier, Pakistan had suspended Samjhauta Express.
• This comes in reaction to the Narendra Modi government's decision to scrap special status to Jammu and Kashmir by making Article 370 inoperative in the state.
• Pakistan has since suspended bilateral trade, banned screening of Indian films in Pakistan and downgraded diplomatic relations.
BCCI agrees to come under the ambit of NADA
• The BCCI has agreed to come under the ambit of the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA).
• India cricketers will now undergo anti-doping tests by the National Anti-Doping Agency after latest controversy over Prithvi Shaw.
• Earlier, the BCCI had been opposed to signing up with NADA. BCCI claimed that it is an autonomous body, not a National Sports Federation
International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples
• The UN’s International Day of the World's Indigenous People (IDWIP) is observed on August 9 every year. It aims to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
• The theme of 2019 is Indigenous Languages. This year’s observance is dedicated to Indigenous Peoples’ Languages in view of 2019 being marked as the International Year of Indigenous Languages.
• The goal behind this theme is to draw attention to the critical loss of indigenous languages and the urgent need to preserve, revitalize and promote them at both national and international levels.
One Nation, One Ration Card Scheme launched
• One nation One Ration Card Scheme launched today by Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan. It has been launched in two cluster states of Andhra Pradesh-Telangana and Maharashtra-Gujarat on a pilot project basis.
• As per the pilot project, anyone from Andhra can buy subsidised food grains from anywhere in Telangana and vice-versa and similarly in another cluster.
• The government targets to cover the entire country by One Nation One Ration Scheme by June 2020.