Current Affairs in Short: 11 May 2018
Sachin Bansal, the co-founder and group Chairman of Flipkart, resigned from his post on May 9, 2018. His exit comes in the wake of the Walmart-Flipkart deal in which US retail giant Walmart acquired 77 percent stake in Flipkart with an investment of around USD 16 billion.
Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal resigns following Walmart deal
• Sachin Bansal, the co-founder and group Chairman of Flipkart, resigned from his post on May 9, 2018.
• His exit comes in the wake of the Walmart-Flipkart deal in which US retail giant Walmart acquired 77 percent stake in Flipkart with an investment of around USD 16 billion.
• However, co-founder Binny Bansal will retain his 5.5 percent stake and will be Chairman of the company's Board.
• Sachin and Binny Bansal started Flipkart in 2007 with Rs 4 lakh, going door-to-door to deliver books.
China launches Gaofen-5 satellite to monitor air pollution
• China successfully launched Gaofen-5 satellite, a hyperspectral imaging satellite, to monitor air pollution which is one of the country's major problems.
• The satellite was launched off the back of a Long March 4C rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province.
• It was the 274th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
World’s second oldest rock is from Odisha
• A rock sample discovered eight years ago from Champua in Odisha’s Kendujhar district has put India at the forefront of geological research in the world.
• Scientists have found a grain of magmatic zircon (a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes) in the rock that is an estimated 4240 million years old, making it the world’s second oldest rock.
• The discovery was made by the geologists from the University of Calcutta and Curtin University, Malaysia along with researchers from the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing.
Trump-Kim Jong-un Summit to take place in Singapore on 12 June
• US President Donald Trump will meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore on June 12, 2018.
• Both the sides had previously exchanged insults and threats. The breakthrough came after landmark talks between North and South Korea.
• The announcement was made by US President Donald Trump hours after he welcomed home three US detainees released by North Korea.
Kerala Government to provide free internet
• The Kerala Government will set up a Joint Venture company ‘Kerala Fibre Optic Network Limited’ to launch its new optic fibre network.
• The company will implement the Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project.
• The K-FON initiative will provide speedy internet connectivity to government offices and educational institutions and to the public at an affordable rate.
India, Ethiopia hold bilateral talks
• India and Ethiopia vowed to strengthen cooperation in key areas such as defence, counter-terrorism, trade and investment during the 2nd Joint Committee Meeting on May 9, 2018.
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Dr Gebeyehu led their respective delegations in the meeting.
• Earlier in 2017, President Ramnath Kovind visited Ethiopia. During his visit, the two countries signed agreements for cooperation in trade and communication sectors to boost bilateral ties.
India Day held at 71st Cannes International Film Festival in France
• India Day was held at the 71st Cannes International Film Festival in France on May 11, 2018 to bring together the French and Indian film industries.
• It is being organised by French Embassy in India and UniFrance, promoter of French films abroad at Terrasse UniFrance in Cannes.
• Among celebrities present at 'India Day' will be actor-director Nandita Das for her biopic "Manto"; Ken Scott with actor Dhanush, for "The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir"; Michelin-star chef Vikas Khanna for his directorial debut "The Last Color" and Antara Rao for her short film "Asthi".
Legal instruments, partnerships needed for conserving wildlife corridors: WWF
• The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on May 11, 2018 announced that legal instruments and partnerships are needed to build a stronger framework for conserving and securing wildlife corridors and landscapes.
• The announcement was made during a three-day workshop held by WWF in Delhi.
• During the workshop, the discussions were held on the importance and challenges of maintaining and securing wildlife landscapes in an increasingly crowded space.
Sri Lankan army to set up Directorate of Overseas Operations
• Sri Lankan army announced setting up of the ‘Directorate of Overseas Operations’ to defend itself against war crimes charges during the three-decade-long LTTE war.
• The Directorate was set up in April 2018 and is already engaged in the collection of the relevant material.
• His comments came as pro-LTTE organisations claimed to kill up to 40 thousand civilians during the last phase of the war in 2009.