Current Affairs in Short: 12 December 2019
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has lowered India's GDP growth forecast to 5.1% for FY19 which was earlier about 6.5%.
Sunil Chhetri becomes PUMA brand ambassador
• Sunil Chhetri, captain of the Indian Football Team, signed with the international sports brand PUMA along with Bengaluru FC.
• Sunil Chhetri ranked two on the list of current goal-scorers with the most number of goals in international football matches.
• He plays as a striker in the Indian team. Sunil Chhetri was born on August 3, 1984, in Secunderabad city of Telangana state.
Social Security Code Bill introduced in Lok Sabha
• The Social Security Code bill was recently introduced in the Lok Sabha. It has a provision for the establishment of social security for all.
• A separate fund will be established for social security in the country through this bill. The workers will get the facility of medical cover, pension, and disability, etc.
• It will also allow the employees to decrease their contribution in the provident fund which is currently 12 percent.
ADB lowers India's GDP growth forecast to 5.1%
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has lowered India's GDP growth forecast to 5.1% for FY19 which was earlier about 6.5%.
• ADB is a regional development bank that aims to promote social and economic development in Asia. It was founded in December 1966.
• ADB also projected that India’s GDP growth will remain around 6.5% for FY 2020.
Ministry of Culture launches Web Portal
• Prahlad Singh Patel, Union Culture and Tourism Minister, recently launched the Indian Culture web portal.
• This web portal - indianculture.gov.in – has been developed by IIT Bombay. And a team of IGNOU has completed the data compilation task.
• The portal comprises – rare books, virtual gallery, bibliography, photo archives, information about musical instruments etc.
Bougainville Referendum: Seeking Independence from Papua New Guinea
• Bougainville, situated in the South Pacific, announced the result of a referendum on independence from Papua New Guinea to become a new country.
• About 85 percent of the eligible people voted in this referendum. More than 1,81,000 votes were cast in the referendum.
• This referendum is a result of the 2001 peace agreement. Bougainville is believed rich in natural resources, mainly in copper.