Current Affairs in Short: 12 July 2019
Andhra Pradesh chief minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has announced a natural calamity fund of Rs. 2,000 crore to mitigate drought conditions.
Andhra Pradesh CM announces Rs. 2,000 crore natural calamity fund
• Andhra Pradesh chief minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has announced a natural calamity fund of Rs. 2,000 crore to mitigate drought conditions and tackle drinking water scarcity in the state.
• The announcement was made on the first day of the 14-day budget session of the Legislative Assembly.
• Andhra Govt. also had to pay Rs.7 lakh compensation to the families of the farmers who committed suicides due to crop failure and debt.
India elevates 27.1 crore people from poverty between 2006-16: UN Report
• The 2019 global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) from the UN Development Programme (UNDP) said that India lifted 271 million people out of poverty between 2006 and 2016.
• The report said that within these 10 countries, data shows that 270 million people moved out of multidimensional poverty from one survey to the next.
• In India, there were 271 million fewer people in poverty in 2016 than in 2006, while in Bangladesh the number dropped by 19 million between 2004 and 2014.
Bharat Forge JV gets USD 100 million order from Israeli defence firm
• Indian conglomerate Bharat Forge Ltd got a USD 100 million order from Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Ltd for the manufacture and supply of missiles to the Indian Army and Air Force.
• The order was given to its joint venture company, Kalyani Rafael Advanced Systems Ltd, in which Rafael is also a partner.
• The missile kits will be supplied to state-run Bharat Dynamics for further integration.
Ajay Singh registers new Commonwealth record in weightlifting
• Indian weightlifter Ajay Singh registered a new Commonwealth record in the clean and jerk category on his way to a gold medal at the Commonwealth Championships in Apia.
• The 22-year-old, Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships bronze medallist, lifted 190kg while competing in the 81kg category at the event.
• This is also Ajay's personal best and 18kgs more than his 320kg (142kg+178kg) effort at the Asian Championships held in Ningbo, China in April.
Hubble telescope finds mysterious disc near black hole
• NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have discovered a disc very close to a black hole. The unexpected thin disc of material was found encircling a supermassive black hole.
• It has found near spiral galaxy NGC 3147, located 130 million light-years away, according to a study published in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
• The disc’s material was measured by Hubble to be whirling around the black hole at more than 10 per cent of the speed of light.