Current Affairs in Short: 16 August 2018
The Ministry of Railway launched the “digital screens” at 22 stations as an innovative low cost solution to spread awareness among public about the opulent heritage of Indian Railways.
Ministry of Railways launches “Digital Screens” to spread awareness about Indian Railways Heritage
• The Ministry of Railway launched the “digital screens” at 22 stations as an innovative low cost solution to spread awareness among public about the opulent heritage of Indian Railways.
• Being initiated on a pilot basis, the project aims at showcasing the legacy of Indian Railways through one to two minute-long movie clips on digital LED screens at the entrance gate of railway stations and also at different comfort areas.
• The short films will showcase heritage buildings, locomotives and much more to make people aware of the rich heritage of Indian Railways.
• For now, the digital screens have been set up at New Delhi, Hazrat Nizamuddin, Howrah, Sealdah, Jaipur, Agra Cantonment, Coimbatore, Lucknow, Varanasi and other railway stations.
24th World Congress of Philosophy held in Beijing
• The 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) was held in Beijing, China from August 13 to 17, 2018.
• It was organized by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, and Peking University.
• Its theme was “Learning To Be Human”.
• 24th WCP event saw more than 1000 activities such as plenary sessions, symposia, lectures and roundtables.
• More than 6000 philosophers and academics from 121 countries and regions had attended the event.
• They had shared diverse philosophical thoughts and took part in dialogues focusing on major issues confronting development of global civilization and challenges that mankind will face in the future.
India grants Rs 470 million for Nepal’s Postal Highway Project
• India released additional Rs 470 million for Phase I of Postal Highway Project being constructed in Southern Plains of Nepal.
• The amount released will help to maintain fund liquidity of ongoing construction of 14 road packages under Postal Highway Project.
• India has been providing financial assistance to Nepal since 1950 for infrastructure development as part of its multi-sectoral India-Nepal Economic Co-operation Programme.
• With release of recent additional funds, India has so far released Rs 2.35 billion to Nepal out of total grant assistance of Rs 8 billion committed to implement 14 packages under Packages 2-6 of Phase I of Postal Highway Project.
FSSAI launches RUCO initiative to collect, convert used cooking oil into biofuel
• The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched RUCO (Repurpose Used Cooking Oil) initiative for collection and conversion of used cooking oil to biodiesel.
• Under this initiative, 64 companies at 101 locations have been identified to enable collection of used cooking oil.
• The initiative was launched nearly month after FSSAI notified standards for used cooking oil.
• According to FSSAI regulations, maximum permissible limits for Total Polar Compounds (TPC) have been set at 25 percent, beyond which the cooking oil is unsafe for consumption.
• Besides this, FSSAI is also working in partnership with Biodiesel Association of India (BAI) and food industry to ensure effective compliance of used cooking oil regulations.
Anandiben Patel takes additional charge as Chattisgarh Governor
• Madhya Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel was given the additional charge of Chhattisgarh following the death of Chhattisgarh Governor Balramji Dass Tandon on August 14, 2018.
• She will discharge additional duties until the regular arrangements for the office of governor of Chhattisgarh are made.
• The Article 153 on the Indian Constitution says that there shall be Governor for each state. The 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitates the appointment of the same person as governor for two or more states.
Rajasthan to observe September as ‘month of nutrition’
• Rajasthan will observe September as the “month of nutrition” to create awareness among people living in the state.
• In the month of nutrition awareness in rural as well as urban areas will be created for nutrition.
• From September, students of Class 1 to 8 of government schools will be given milk daily instead of thrice a week.