Current Affairs in Short: 18 January 2019
Justices Dinesh Maheshwari and Sanjiv Khanna were sworn-in as Supreme Court judges. Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi administered the oath of office to justices Maheshwari and Khanna during the swearing-in ceremony.
Justices Dinesh Maheshwari, Sanjiv Khanna sworn-in as judges of Supreme Court
• Justices Dinesh Maheshwari and Sanjiv Khanna were sworn-in as Supreme Court judges.
• Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi administered the oath of office to justices Maheshwari and Khanna during the swearing-in ceremony.
• The sanctioned strength of judges in the Supreme Court is 31. With the swearing-in of justices Maheshwari and Khanna, the strength has now gone up to 28.
• While Justice Maheshwari was the chief justice of the Karnataka High Court, Justice Khanna was a judge in the Delhi High Court.
Justice Asif Khosa takes oath as Chief Justice of Pakistan
• Justice Asif Saeed Khosa took oath as the 26th Chief Justice of Pakistan in a simple ceremony.
• President Arif Alvi administered oath to the new Chief Justice who took office after the retirement of Chief Justice Saqib Nisar.
• Prime Minister Imran Khan, judges of higher courts, ministers, diplomats, civil and military officials, lawyers and foreign guests including from India were present at the oath taking ceremony.
• Former judge of the Supreme Court of India and President Governing Committee of the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute Justice Madan Bhimarao Lokur and Sandra E Oxner, former judge and founding president Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute, Canada took part in the ceremony.
Bihar Government lifts ban on sale of live fish in Patna
• Bihar Government lifted ban on sale of live fish, three days after it banned the sale, transportation and storage of all kinds of fish dead or alive in Patna for 15 days.
• The ban was lifted following a directive from Chief Minister Nitish Kumar after reports of growing protests by fishermen and vendors selling fish.
• Fish traders had also threatened to launch agitation against the ban.
• The ban will continue on sale, storage and transportation of fish from Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal in Patna as laboratory tests confirmed presence of high content of formalin and heavy metals like lead and cadmium in the consignments.
• Formalin, a cancer-inducing chemical, is used to preserve the fish.
2nd World Orange Festival begins in Nagpur
• The second World Orange Festival began in Nagpur on January 18, 2019.
• The festival, while offering its famed oranges to the world, will also showcase and brand the exquisite fruit in order to boost its export.
• Agricultural experts and scientists from various countries will participate in the workshops and guide farmers.
Regional Conference on ‘Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme’ held in Mumbai
• A Regional Conference on ‘Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme’ was held in Mumbai on January 17, 2019.
• Programme Implementing Agencies including NGOs and state government representatives from Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Goa were present for the conference.
• Joint Secretary of Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Dr. Prabodh Seth highlighted the need for creation of inclusive society that accepts and respects persons with disabilities without discrimination.
• He made an elaborate presentation highlighting the provisions of new scheme such as increase in the cost norms by 2.5 times, streamlining the procedure of application, extending special benefits to areas such as Left Wing Affected Districts, etc.
Suresh Prabhu inaugurates 10th edition of India Rubber Expo 2019
• Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo - 2019 in Mumbai.
• The three-day event, being held at the Bombay Exhibition Centre, is one of the most anticipated events in the rubber industry’s calendar.
• The rubber industry is a truly homegrown industry which is having a deep impact on several global markets.
• The industry is expected to grow faster, create more employment opportunities, increase exports and add to the economic output of India.