Kohli touches career-high 911 points in ICC ODI rankings, Kuldeep breaks into top-10
• The International Cricket Council (ICC) on July 19, 2018 released the latest ODI rankings. Indian captain Virat Kohli strengthened his position at the top of rankings for batsmen by touching a career-high 911 points, while spinner Kuldeep Yadav broke into the top-10 of the bowlers' chart at sixth
• The players’ rise comes despite India losing the ODI series against England 1-2 last night. Kohli ended the series with scores 75, 45 and 71.
• Yadav has broken into the top-10 for the first time in his career. The left-arm wrist-spinner took nine wickets in the series, including six for 25 at Trent Bridge, which have been rewarded with a rise of eight places to a career-high 6th position.
• Yadav is the second India bowler and fifth spinner to feature in the top-10 after number-one ranked Jasprit Bumrah. India's Yuzvendra Chahal is included as 10th top spinner.
Cabinet nod to introduce Bill providing for death penalty for rape of girl below 12 years
• The Union Cabinet has cleared a bill providing for stringent punishment, including death penalty, for those convicted of raping girls below the age of 12 years.
• Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced that the bill will be introduced in the ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament.
• The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018, once approved by Parliament, will replace the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated on 21st April, following the rape and murder of a minor girl in Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir and the rape of a woman in Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.
Centre sanctions Rs 300 cr for effective solid waste management in Delhi
• The Centre has sanctioned financial assistance of 300 crore rupees to the Three Municipal Corporations of Delhi for effective solid waste management and dust control.
• Union Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary Durga Shanker Mishra said in New Delhi that orders for various projects worth 236 crores were issued and the North and East MCDs were asked to prepare other proposals worth 64 crores.
• He said, the execution of proposals was on fast-track so that there was effective implementation of solid waste management.
Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 introduced in Lok Sabha
• The Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on July 18, 2018.
• The bill has been brought to help the government in confiscating properties of economic offenders who have absconded the country to avoid prosecution.
• Introducing the Bill, Finance Minister Piyush Goyal said, offences involving 100 crore rupees or more will fall under its purview.
Rajya Sabha Chamber becomes Wi-Fi-enabled
• The Rajya Sabha Chamber has become Wi-Fi-enabled. Announcing this in the House during the Zero Hour, Chairman M Venkiah Naidu said members can now browse all the government websites including that of Parliament.
• The Speaker of the House said that the facility is accessible on all the mobile phones, tablets, Laptops.
• He also congratulated Electronics and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister of State Ahluwalia and NIC engineers, who have completed the work in a short span of time.
10th edition of Delhi Dialogue begins in New Delhi
• The 10th edition of the Delhi Dialogue got underway in New Delhi on July 19, 2018. The theme for this year is 'Strengthening India-ASEAN Maritime Co-operation'.
• Addressing the special plenary session, Minister of State for External Affairs, Gen V K Singh said the theme has been chosen aptly this time in view of focus that government wants to put on ASEAN India maritime cooperation. He stressed that it is the idea of this cooperation that will set tone for Indo-Pacific region.
• The Minister highlighted that the fact that Delhi Dialogue is being opened with a roundtable with Chief Ministers of North Eastern states shows the focus that government places on the North East.
• He said that Act East policy is not just a progression but a leap forward from the Look East policy. Gen Singh further said that Act East policy is wider in scope geographically and is more action driven and result oriented.
ISRO ropes in three vendors to assemble 27 satellites
• The Indian Space Research Organisation has signed contracts with three vendors to outsource Spacecraft Assembly Integration and Testing (AIT) activities.
• The vendors are expected to help ISRO assemble about 27 satellites over the next three years.
• As part of capacity-building activity, the U R Rao Satellite Centre has taken up initiatives to promote participation of the Indian industry from spacecraft subsystems to spacecraft assembly, integration and testing.
• In this context, URSC-ISRO signed agreements on July 18 to outsource of spacecraft assembly, integration and testing activities with multiple vendors - Alpha Technologies Private Limited, Bengaluru, and its consortium partners; Bharat Electronics Limited, Bengaluru, and Tata Advanced Systems Limited, Hyderabad.
LS passes bill to end no detention policy in schools
• A bill to amend the Right to Education (RTE) Act to abolish the 'no detention policy' in schools was passed in the Lok Sabha on July 18, 2018.
• The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (second amendment) Bill, 2017 will be at the discretion of the states whether to continue with no detention or not.
• The states will decide at what level and who will conduct the examination.
• Under the current provisions of the RTE Act, no student can be detained till class 8 and all students are promoted to the next grade.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports