Current Affairs in Short: 19 March 2020
The Andhra Pradesh government has appointed Ashwani Lohani, the former chairman and managing director (CMD) of Air India as chairman of the state's Tourism Development Corporation.
Ashwani Lohani becomes chairman of Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation
• The Andhra Pradesh government has appointed Ashwani Lohani, the former chairman and managing director (CMD) of Air India as chairman of the state's Tourism Development Corporation.
• Ashwani Lohani has also been given the status of a cabinet minister in the Andhra Pradesh government. This appointment has been made for one year.
• Earlier, Ashwani Lohani was also the CMD of the India Tourism Development Corporation and the Chairman of the Railway Board.
Arundhati Bhattacharya appointed Salesforce India CEO
• Former SBI chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya will be the CEO of Salesforce India. Arundhati Bhattacharya will take over as Chairman and CEO of Salesforce India in April 2020.
• Salesforce India is among the top companies of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software worldwide. Arundhati Bhattacharya is also currently working as an independent director at Wipro.
• Arundhati Bhattacharya left the post of chairperson of SBI in the year 2017. After this, Bhattacharya has worked as a director in seven Indian companies. She has worked in Ajay Piramal-led Piramal Enterprises Ltd and Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries also.
Uttarakhand ends reservation in promotions
• Uttarakhand Government has issued a notice to end quota in promotions for SC/ST employees. This will benefit about 30,000 employees. The employees have ended the indefinite strike after the issuance of these orders.
• Trivendra Rawat government has taken this big decision on completion of three years of his government. Apart from this, the state government has also removed the ban on promotion.
• The order said that the government has abolished the ban on promotion which was imposed on September 11, 2019.
ADB announces USD 6.5 bn package for developing countries
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on March 18, 2020, announced a USD 6.5 billion package for its developing member countries to tackle the Coronavirus pandemic.
• A preliminary package has been announced for immediate assistance to developing member countries because of the Coronavirus pandemics. The Asian Development Bank is headquartered in Manila.
• The bank works for sustainable development and poverty alleviation in Asia and the Pacific. ADB said that Coronavirus has become a major global problem. This requires concrete steps at national, regional and global levels.
Indian Railways announced additional measures to prevent Covid-19
• Indian railways have cancelled 155 pairs of low booking trains to discourage non-passenger travel and overcrowding of trains as a precautionary measure.
• Indian railways also issued an advisory to passengers to avoid non-essential train travel and to ensure that they don’t have a fever while starting the journey. If at any point in the journey, the passenger feels that he is getting a fever, he can contact the railway staff for medical care and further assistance.
• A regular announcement of ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ is being made on the Public Declaration System in the trains and at the platforms.