Current Affairs in Short: 25 February 2019
Union minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey launched ‘National Action Plan - Viral Hepatitis’, a national programme aimed at eliminating viral hepatitis, recognized as an important public health problem. The programme was launched in Mumbai in presence of Amitabh Bachchan, the goodwill ambassador for Hepatitis, WHO South-East Asia Region.
Prime Minister Modi to confer National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 Awards
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi will confer the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 awards to the winners on February 27, 2019 at Vigyan Bhawan.
• Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, Rajyavardhan Rathore had launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 on January 12, 2019 in order to encourage the youth in the age group of 18-25 years to engage with public issues and understand the common man’s point of view.
• National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 was jointly organised by National Service Scheme (NSS) and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) under the aegis of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
• The themes of the festival were “Be the Voice of New India” and “Find solutions and contribute to policy”.
Union Home Minister to inaugurate various residential and office buildings of CAPFs, CPOs and Delhi Police
• The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will inaugurate 29 infrastructure projects (both residential and non-residential buildings) of Central Armed Police Forces (BSF, CRPF, CISF, ITBP, NDRF & SSB).
• The projects of the Delhi Police and the Central Police Organizations (Land Ports Authority of India and Central Forensic Science Laboratories) will also be inaugurated on the same occasion.
• These projects have been constructed at various locations across the Country at a total cost of Rs.1,714.97 crore.
• The projects involve 53 non-residential buildings and 4,723 residential quarters.
Government launches Rail Drishti Dashboard to keep people informed about ongoing Railway works
• Railway Minister Piyush Goyal launched Rail Drishti Dashboard in New Delhi to keep people informed about the work going on in the Railways across the country.
• The Ministry of Railways will get suggestions and comments through the platform and will plan on future actions.
• The information gathered by technology and other means can benefit if there is proper data analysis.
• People will get useful information from Rail Drishti through Railway WiFi facilities that are continuously expanding in the country.
Government increases Risk & Hardship allowance for CAPF personnel deployed in J&K
• Union Home Ministry announced the hike in Risk and Hardship allowance for Central Armed Police Forces personnel deployed in Left Wing Extremism states and Jammu and Kashmir.
• Troops up to the rank of Inspector will now get Rs 17,300 against the existing Rs 9,700, while the officers will get Rs 25,000 against the existing Rs 17,300 per month.
• This will benefit over 88,000 personnel deployed in these areas.
• This will also be a huge morale booster for all CAPF deployed in these areas.
Union Minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey launches National Programme to Eliminate Viral Hepatitis
• Union minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey launched ‘National Action Plan - Viral Hepatitis’, a national programme aimed at eliminating viral hepatitis, recognized as an important public health problem.
• The programme was launched in Mumbai in presence of Amitabh Bachchan, the goodwill ambassador for Hepatitis, WHO South-East Asia Region.
• The programme is also in line with the country's global commitment towards achieving Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3.3.
• The aim of the programme is to combat hepatitis and achieve countrywide elimination of Hepatitis C by 2030.
Afghanistan begins export to India via Chabahar port
• Afghanistan has begun exports to India through Iran’s Chabahar port.
• At the inauguration of the new export route in Zaranj city in western Nimroz province, President Ashraf Ghani said Chabahar port is the result of healthy cooperation between India, Iran and Afghanistan.
• Afghanistan’s exports will increase to two billion dollar from the current one billion dollar in the next year.
• Indian ambassador Vinay Kumar said Afghanistan’s exports to India have increased by 40 percent after the launch of air corridor between Kabul and New Delhi.
• 23 trucks carrying 57 tonnes of dried fruits, textiles, carpets and mineral products were dispatched from Zaranj to Chabahar port to be shipped to Mumbai.
Successful transfer of funds to farmer beneficiaries under PM-KISAN
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 24, 2019 launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) from Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
• On the launch day itself, the first instalment of Rs 2,000 was directly credited to the bank accounts of selected beneficiary farmers.
• The First Installment of Rs 2,021 crore was directly transferred into the bank accounts of 1,010,6,880 eligible farmers of 24 States and the Union Territories.
• The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) under the Scheme PM-KISAN is being done through the System of Public Finance Management System (PFMS), a web-based payment and MIS IT application of the Government administered by the Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
• DBT process through PFMS ensures digitally authenticated payments, without any manual intervention, directly into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries in a transparent manner and without any delay.
CBIC constitutes three Working Groups to study and recommend measures to facilitate trade, promote exports
• The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) constituted three Working Groups to study and recommend measures to facilitate trade, promote exports and improve compliance.
• The Working Groups will focus on improving the legislative structure of customs tariff and update it to suit the emerging and future needs of the economy.
• The special focus would be given to create a comprehensive export tariff structure to enhance India’s export competitiveness.
• It will focus on export promotion and facilitation through e-commerce, addressing the trade facilitation barriers faced in India’s export markets and improving the quality of logistics services.
• The groups will consult the stakeholders extensively, including the Export Promotion Councils and relevant wings of the Ministry of Commerce and industry.
• The Groups will submit their report within a period of two months.
NITI Aayog hosts Conference on The Future of Indian Banking
• NITI Aayog co-hosted a conference on “The Future of Indian Banking” on February 22, 2019 with the Foundation for Economic Growth and Welfare (EGROW Foundation).
• The conference aimed to increase and elevate the discourse on the banking sector in India, and help develop insights to inform the continued evolution of the Indian banking sector.
• The Conference deliberated on evolution of technology which has become critically important for banking already and will continue to become more important in future.