Current Affairs in Short: 25 May 2018
India ranked at 44th place in terms of competitiveness in the annual rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development (IMD).
India to attend SCO anti-terror talks in Pak
• India will be attending the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation-Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure Legal Experts meeting which will be held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
• This will be Pakistan’s first SCO meeting, as the country along with India became a member of the organisation in June 2017.
• The meeting will be focused on the terror threat faced by the region & ways to enhance counter-terror efforts.
India ranks 44th in IMD’s competitiveness rankings
• India ranked at 44th place in terms of competitiveness in the annual rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development (IMD).
• As per the rankings, the US is the most competitive economy, followed by Hong Kong and Singapore in the second and third place.
• Out of the 14 Asian countries on the list, India ranked 12th.
Government reconstitutes Financial Stability and Development Council
• The Union Government reconstituted Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) to include secretaries from revenue department as well as Ministry of Information Technology (MeitY).
• It will also include the Chairman of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
• This decision will make FSDC more broad-based to incorporate changes in economic regulatory framework of the country.
5th India-CLMV Business Conclave held in Cambodia
• The 5th India-CLMV (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam) Business Conclave was held at Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
• It was jointly organised by Ministry of Commerce & Industry along with Ministry of Commerce of Cambodia.
• The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is institutional partner of the event.
World’s Largest Bird Sculpture ‘Jatayu’ to be inaugurated in Kerala
• Kerala will soon inaugurate the world’s largest bird sculpture, Jatayu Earth’s Centre in Thiruvananthapuram.
• The replica of bird ‘Jatayu’, a character in the Ramayana is 65 feet tall & is positioned right at the top of a rock situated 1000 feet above sea level.
• The rock ‘Jatayupara’ where the structure is based, is the place where Jatayu fell after its wings were cut by Ravana.
Indian Navy conducts Prasthan exercise
• Indian Navy conducted an exercise called Prasthan in the Western Offshore Development area in Mumbai.
• The exercise is held once in every 6 months and aims at integrating maritime stakeholders including, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force, ONGC, Customs & Port Trust.
• The drills were focused on fire on an oil platform, Oil spill, search and rescue for crashed helicopters, etc.
Paytm AshaKiran initiative launched to educate women
• Paytm announced a programme called Paytm AshaKiran, which aims at educating rural women about financial services.
• It will help in creating new job opportunities in small towns & cities of India.
• Paytm has partnered with United Nations Development Program under its Disha project to mobilize self-help groups and organize workshops.