Current Affairs in Short: 27 February 2019
Bihar government has issued notification to provide 10 percent quota for weaker sections in general category in jobs and educational institutions. The reservation is meant for individuals whose annual earning is below Rs 8 lakh and who possess less than 5 acres of agriculture land.
Petroleum Minister gives Rs 34 cr of IOC for clean Ganga movement
• Petroleum Minister Dhramendra Pradhan on February 27, 2019 gave Rs 34 crore of Indian Oil Corporation for clean Ganga movement.
• After receiving the grant , Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said that nearly 40 Ganga tributaries will be cleaned.
• The Minister said, government has been able to get rid of paper and pulp industry wastage.
• He said that nearly one crore people have contributed to clean Ganga movement.
Jitendra Singh presents National e-Governance Awards 2019
• Minister of State in Prime Minister's Office, Dr Jitendra Singh on February 27, 2019 presented the National e-Governance Awards, 2019 in New Delhi.
• The awards are given every year to recognise and promote excellence in implementation of e-Governance initiatives. The Minister gave the award in six categories.
• The initiative seeks to disseminate knowledge on effective methods of designing and implementing sustainable e-Governance initiatives.
• It also recognises initiatives in start ups, academic research institutions as well as initiatives in adopting emerging technologies.
MP: CZPDC Bhopal, WZPDC Indore bag Saubhagya award
• In Madhya Pradesh, the Central Zone Power Distribution Company, Bhopal and West Zone Power Distribution Company, Indore have been awarded the Saubhagya award under Pradhanmantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana at the National Conference of Energy Ministers. The award included Rs 100 crore each.
• The awards were presented by the Union Minister of State for Energy RK Singh on February 26, 2019.
• The Central Zone Power Distribution Company, Bhopal is the first power distribution company in the country that has illuminated more than 7 lakh 85 thousand houses while around 4 lakh houses have been electrified by the West Zone Power Distribution Company, Indore under Pradhanmantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana- Saubhagya.
• The Pradhanmantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana- Saubhagya, which was implemented by the union government from September 25, 2017, aims to provide electricity to all BPL houses of rural and urban areas.
Bihar government approves 10 per cent quota for weaker sections in general category
• Bihar government has issued notification to provide 10 percent quota for weaker sections in general category in jobs and educational institutions.
• The reservation is meant for individuals whose annual earning is below Rs 8 lakh and who possess less than 5 acres of agriculture land.
• The quota allocation for weaker sections in general category is expected to help in providing more employment.
DAC approves acquisition of defence equipment worth Rs 2700 cr
• The Defence Acquisition Council has approved the acquisition of defence equipment for about Rs 2700 crores.
• The approval includes acquisition of three cadet training ships for the navy, which will provide basic sea training to officer cadets including women officer under trainees.
• The ships will be capable of undertaking Hospital Ship duties, providing humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, undertaking search and rescue missions and non-combatant evacuation operations.
Prajnesh Gunneswaran rises to career-best 94th in Tenis
• In Tennis, India's Prajnesh Gunneswaran achieved his career-best ranking, rising three places to 94th in the latest list.
• Ramkumar Ramanathan dropped nine spots to 137, while Yuki Bhambri further slipped to 171.
• Saketh Myneni is placed at 250th and following him is Sasi Kumar Mukund, who has also jumped to a career-best 269th.
• In Doubles rankings, Rohan Bopanna remained at 38th and Divij Sharan at 39th, while Leander Paes jumped two spots to 73rd. Following them was Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan at 75th and Purav Raja at 96th.
• In the Women's rankings, Ankita Raina continued to be the top-placed Indian at 164, followed by Karman Thandi at 207 and Pranjala Yadlapalli at 293.
Abhijeet Gupta lifts Cannes International Open trophy
• In Chess, Indian Grandmaster Abhijeet Gupta lifted the Cannes International Open trophy yesterday.
• He took an easy draw with Pier Luigi Basso of Italy in the ninth and final round. Having been tied for the top spot in the previous edition, Abhijeet won the tournament with 7.5 points.
• It was a clear point lead over nearest rivals Nikita Maiorov of Belarus, Nasuta Grzegorz of Poland and Yuri Solodovnichecko of Ukraine.
• Abhijeet started well in the tournament winning the first four rounds. Then two more wins and three draws happened on the way to his first solo International tournament victory.
Manpreet Singh honoured with AHF's Player of the Year
• The Asian Hockey Federation has honoured Indian skipper Manpreet Singh with the 2018 Player of the Year award. Women team's striker Lalremsiami has bagged the Rising Player of The Year prize.
• Manpreet had led the Indian team to an unbeaten streak at the Asian Champions Trophy in Muscat where the team was declared joint winners with Pakistan. He also contributed to the team's silver medal win at the FIH Champions Trophy in Breda.
• The 18-year-old Lalremsiami put up an impressive performance as a striker at the 2018 World Cup. She was also a part of the Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires where the under-18 team won a silver medal.
Cuba votes on new constitution
• In Cuba, voters took part in a referendum on a new constitution that expands recognition of private property.
• The referendum contained only two options: yes or no to the new constitution. More than eight million were registered to voters.
• The new constitution, replacing the 1976 version, recognises a limited role for the free market and private investment, but only under the control of the Communist Party.
• It enshrines socialism as the country's only ideology. Cuba's banned opposition, which normally calls for abstention at elections or spoiling ballot sheets, this time campaigned for a no vote.