US Supreme Court upholds Trump’s travel ban on people from 5 Muslim-majority countries
• The US Supreme Court ruled in favour of the Trump administration's travel ban targeting people from several Muslim-majority countries.
• Lower courts had deemed the ban as unconstitutional, but the US top court reversed the decision in a 5-4 majority ruling.
• The ban prohibits most people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria and Yemen from entering the US.
• The court's ruling is viewed as a victory for the Trump administration.
• In a proclamation in September 2017, Trump had placed entry restrictions on nationals of eight foreign nations whose systems for managing and sharing information about their nationals he deemed inadequate.
World's largest multilateral naval exercise RIMPAC to begin in Hawaii
• The world's largest multilateral naval exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) will begin on June 27, 2018 in Hawaii in the Western Pacific Ocean.
• The two-month long biennial exercise is likely to be attended by navies of 26 countries including India.
• Indian Naval Ship Sahyadri has already reached the Pearl Harbour in Hawaii to participate in the 26th edition of RIMPAC exercise.
• INS Sahyadri, commanded by Captain Shantanu Jha, is a state-of-the-art indigenously built guided missile stealth frigate which is a part of the Eastern Fleet under the Eastern Naval Command.
• India's participation in the exercise provides a platform for increased interoperability and development of common understanding of procedures for maritime security operations.
Oxytocin formulations ban to come into effect from July 2018
• The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has restricted the manufacture of Oxytocin formulations to public sector for domestic use only from July 2018.
• It has also banned the import of Oxytocin and its formulations.
• No private manufacturer will be allowed to manufacture the drug for domestic use.
• Only Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (KAPL), a public sector company, would be manufacturing this drug for domestic use.
• The Oxytocin formulations meant for domestic consumption will be supplied by KAPL to the registered hospitals and clinics in public and private sector directly.
• All the registered hospitals and clinics in public and private sector in the country shall contact KAPL and place their orders with the company as the drug will not be available with retail chemists or any other manufacturer.
Anant Barua appointed as whole-time member of SEBI
• The Union Government has appointed Anant Barua as whole-time member of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
• Barua is at present executive director in SEBI.
• He had taken charge as Executive Director of SEBI in May 2010.
• Prior to this assignment, he was legal adviser, Legal Affairs Department (LAD), SEBI. He had been working in LAD since 1992.
• He was on deputation to Central Bank of Bahrain as legal adviser and has also worked with National Fertilizers Ltd. (NFL), Industrial Finance Corporation of India (IFCI) and DCM Ltd.
• He is commerce graduate with LL.B from the University of Delhi.
S Ramesh appointed as Chairman of CBIC
• The Union Government has appointed senior bureaucrat S Ramesh as Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), the apex policy-making body for indirect taxes.
• He has been appointed as chairman of CBIC with the status of special secretary to the central government.
• He will succeed Vanaja N Sarna who retired on June 30, 2018.
• S Ramesh is 1981 batch officer of the Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise).
• Prior to this appointment, he was member in CBIC, mandated with responsibility of implementing the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
• CBIC is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week