15 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like new President of IOA, Youth Boxer of year and World Conference on Vedas among others.
1. Who has been elected as the new President of Indian Olympic Association?
a) Anil Khanna
b) Rajeev Mehta
c) RK Anand
d) Narinder Batra
2. Which online retailer is planning to enter India’s beauty market with a chain of brick-and-mortar stores?
3. The Jewar airport, which when completed will be India’s biggest airport, is set to come up in which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
4. Google X has signed a MoU with which Indian state to set up its first development centre outside USA?
c) Andhra Pradesh
5. The World Conference on Vedas was inaugurated by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu in which city?
b) New Delhi
6. Which state government is going to adopt the Clinical establishment (Registration and Regulation) Act?
d) Madhya Pradesh
7. How many special courts will be set up to exclusively deal with cases against lawmakers?
8. Which state government approved the bill to check land mafia and fight organised crime?
b) Uttar Pradesh
9. Which Boxer was named as youth boxer of year by Asian Boxing Confederation?
a) Vijender Singh
b) Srikanth Tiwari
c) Sachin Siwach
d) Gaurav Bidhuri
10. Which state recently increased non-creamy layer limit for OBCs to Rs 8 lakh?
11. Who was elected as BARC India Chairman recently?
a) Nakul Chopra
b) Sudhanshu Vats
c) Rajesh Sharma
d) Suresh Yadav
12. Political figure Prem Singh, who passed away recently, belonged to which political party?
a) Bhartiya Janata Party
b) Indian National Congress
c) Aam Aadmi Party
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Narinder Batra
The chief of International Hockey Federation, Narinder Batra was elected as the President of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) at its Annual General Meeting held in New Delhi on 14 December 2017.The 60-year-old Batra received 143 votes out of the total 160, winning the polls with an overwhelming majority. His opponent Anil Khanna on the other hand just managed to scramble 13 votes.
2. (b) Myntra
Myntra, India’s largest online fast-fashion retailer is planning to enter India's booming beauty market with a chain of brick-and-mortar stores selling multi-brand cosmetics and wellness items.
3. (a) Uttar Pradesh
The Jewar airport, which has been allocated 7500 acres in Uttar Pradesh, is said to become the biggest airport in India in terms of area. While the first phase could involve construction of about 4,000 acres, follow-up phases will see construction on rest of the land, besides other services.
4. (c) Andhra Pradesh
The state government of Andhra Pradesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Google X, allowing it to set up its Development Centre in Visakhapatnam. The Centre will be the research and development facility’s first development centre outside the United State of America.
5. (b) New Delhi
The World Conference on Vedas ‘Vishwa Ved Sammelan’ was inaugurated by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi on 15 December 2017. Naidu said that the Vedas preach world peace, universal brotherhood and welfare for all.
6. (c) Maharashtra
Maharashtra Government has started efforts to adopt Clinical establishment (Registration and Regulation) Act with an aim to ensure the minimum standards of facilities and services provided by them.
7. (a) 12
The Supreme Court approved setting up of 12 fast track courts to exclusively prosecute 1581 criminal cases pending against Members of Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies within a year. A Bench of Justices Ranjan Gogoi and Navin Sinha directed the Centre to allocate Rs 7.8 crore to the States for setting up of the special courts.
8. (b) Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh Government on 13 December 2017 approved the draft of Uttar Pradesh Control of Organised Crime Act (UPCOCA) to fight land mafia, mining mafia and organised crime in the state. The Bill has been framed on the lines of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) by the committee which was set up to examine the draft bill.
9. (c) Sachin Siwach
World youth champion Sachin Siwach was named as the best youth boxer of the year 2017 by Asian Boxing Confederation after winning an online poll conducted by the continental body. Siwach, who won the world title in 2016, claimed the Asian youth championships silver in 2017 besides a gold at the Youth Commonwealth Games.
10. (d) Maharashtra
Maharashtra Government enhanced non-creamy layer limit for Other Backward Classes in State to Rs 8 lakh per annum. Earlier, the cut off limit for getting reservation for forward among the backward classes was Rs 6 lakh.
11. (a) Nakul Chopra
Nakul Chopra, President of AAAI and Senior Advisor, Publicis Communications was elected as the Chairman of BARC India. He succeeds Viacom18 Group CEO Sudhanshu Vats. Nakul will be the third Chairman of BARC India. He had joined the BARC India Board in September 2016.
12. (b) Indian National Congress
Prem Singh was from the Indian National Congress(INC). He was a three-time president of the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC). He was also the Speaker of the Delhi Assembly twice. His name features in the Limca Book of Records for getting elected 10 times consecutively for different positions from the same constituency — Ambedkar Nagar.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.