18 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Gabon declared polio free, National Ayush Mission and Vijay Diwas among others.
1. Which country was recently declared polio-free by the World Health Organization?
2. Union Cabinet recently approved agreement with UNESCO for establishment of International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography in which city?
d) New Delhi
3. PM Narendra Modi recently dedicated 60 MW Tuitial Hydro Power Project to the nation. The project is based in which state?
d) Arunachal Pradesh
4. The National Green Tribunal recently banned plastic items in towns located along banks of which river?
5. What is the official emblem of Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games?
a) Winter Dream
b) Summer Flight
c) Autumn Night
d) Spring Meadows
6. The bilateral military exercise “EKUVERIN 2017” began between India and which country?
a) Sri Lanka
7. The Union Cabinet has approved continuation of which centrally-sponsored scheme?
8. Cabinet has approved MoU for cooperation in the field of agriculture and fisheries between India and which country?
a) Sri Lanka
9. The Union cabinet recently approved a bill that criminalised which Islamic practice?
b) Sharia banking
c) Triple Talaq
d) Alms tax
10. Who was named BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year 2017?
a) PV Sindhu
b) Roger Federer
c) Rafael Nadal
d) Serena Williams
11. When was Vijay Diwas, the day commemorating India’s 1971 victory over Pakistan, observed?
a) 16 December
b) 17 December
c) 18 December
d) 19 December
12. Which Indian shuttler won the silver medal at BWF Dubai World Series Finals 2017?
a) Srikanth Kidambi
b) PV Sindhu
c) Saina Nehwal
d) HS Prannoy
1. (a) Gabon
The World Health Organization (WHO) has officially declared Gabon a polio-free country as there were no new reported or suspected cases in the central African country. Polio is a highly-infectious viral disease which mainly affects young children and can result in permanent paralysis.
2. (b) Hyderabad
The Union Cabinet approved the establishment of International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography, as a Category-2 Centre (C2C) of UNESCO in Hyderabad. The purpose of this Agreement is to establish a training centre towards development of capacity for the countries on the Indian Ocean Rim (IOR), African countries bordering the Indian and Atlantic Oceans, small island countries under the framework of UNESCO.
3. (c) Mizoram
Prime Minister Narendra Modi formally dedicated the 60 MW Tuirial Hydro Electric Power Project (HEPP) in Mizoram to the nation.
4. (d) Ganga
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on 15 December 2017 imposed a complete ban on plastic items like carry bags, plates and cutlery in towns located on the banks of the River Ganga like Haridwar and Rishikesh.
5. (a) Winter Dream
The Beijing 2022 Organising Committee (BOCOG) recently launched the official emblems for the 2022 Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games at a ceremony held at the National Aquatic Center in the Chinese capital on December 15, 2017. The emblem for the 2022 Olympic Games is 'Winter Dream'.
6. (b) Maldives
The 8th edition of bilateral military exercise “EKUVERIN 2017” started between India and Maldives on 15 December 2017 in Belagavi, Karnataka. It is a 14-day joint military training between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF).
7. (b) NAM
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of Centrally Sponsored Scheme of National Ayush Mission (NAM) from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2020. The government has set aside funds worth Rs 2400 crore for the project over the 3 year period. NAM is being implemented by the Ministry of AYUSH with the objective of providing cost-effective AYUSH Services.
8. (c) Colombia
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15 December 2017 approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Colombia for cooperation in the field of agriculture and fisheries.
9. (c) Triple Talaq
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15 December 2017 approved the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017 that seeks to criminalise instant triple talaq among Muslims. According to the government, the bill is aimed at protecting the dignity and security of women in the Muslim community.
10. (b) Roger Federer
Roger Federer has been voted as the BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year for a record fourth time. The 36-year-old enjoyed a remarkable season this year, returning from six months out with knee trouble to win his first grand slam title since 2012 at the Australian Open.
11. (a) 16 December
Vijay Diwas was observed across the nation on 16 December 2017. The day is commemorated every year, as it marks India’s victory over Pakistan during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, which led to the creation of Bangladesh.
12. (d) PV Sindhu
India’s ace shuttler, P V Sindhu had to settle for the silver medal at the BWF Dubai World Series Finals 2017 in Dubai, UAE on 17 December 2017, after she went down fighting against Japan’s top-seeded Akane Yamaguchi. Sindhu lost to Yamaguchi by 15-21, 21-12, 21-19 in a match that lasted for an hour and 34 minutes.