19 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like Gujarat Assembly Elections 2017, UN World Migration Report 2018 and International Migrants Day among others.
1. Which party formed majority government for the sixth-straight term in Gujarat?
2. Which Indian double Olympian won the gold medal in the final of the 74kg freestyle category at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships 2017?
a) Sakshi Malik
b) Parveen Rana
c) Sushil Kumar
d) Yogeshwar Dutt
3. How many seats did NCP win the Gujarat assembly elections 2017?
4. The Skill Development Ministry has signed a MoU with which automobile manufacturer to impart skill training to youth?
b) Mahindra and Mahindra
c) Tata Motors
d) Maruti Suzuki
5. The Communications regulator of which country rolled back net neutrality rules that were introduced in the nation in 2015?
6. Which Indian Olympian clinched the gold medal in the 62kg women's freestyle category at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships 2017?
a) Geeta Phogat
b) Sakshi Malik
c) Babita Phogat
d) Vinesh Phogat
7. Which country has largest Diaspora population in the world, as per UN World Migration Report 2018?
8. Who won the 2017 presidential election of Chile?
a) Michelle Guillier
b) Sebastian Pinera
c) Ricardo Lagos
d) Eduard Luis
9. What was the theme of 2017 International Migrants Day?
a) Migrants Safety
b) Co-operate with Migrants
c) Safe Migration in a World on the Move
d) Migration works better
10. Who was declared as winner of presidential vote in Honduras election?
a) Salvador Nasralla
b) Luis Orlando Zelaya
c) Ricardo Lagos
d) Juan Orlando Hernandez
11. UNESCO partnered with which company for videos on Indian heritage sites?
12. Who was appointed as member of the Union Public Service Commission recently?
a) Rajni Jain
b) Smita Nagaraj
c) Anjali Mehta
d) Misha Chopra
1. (a) BJP
After an initial few hours of nail-biting suspense, the verdict for Gujarat is clear- the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) has secured its sixth-straight term in the state. Out of the total 182 seats, the party won 99 seats, seven more than the mark of absolute majority, while the Congress won 77 seats.
2. (c) Sushil Kumar
Indian freestyle wrestler, Sushil Kumar clinched the gold medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships, which were held in South Africa on 17 December 2017. The double Olympic medallist, who returned to international wrestling after more than three years, defeated New Zealand’s Akash Khullar with a pinfall in the final of the 74kg freestyle category to clinch the top medal.
3. (d) One
After an initial few hours of nail-biting suspense, the verdict for Gujarat is clear- the Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) has secured its sixth-straight term in the state. Out of the total 182 seats, the party won 99 seats, seven more than the mark of absolute majority, while the Congress won 77 seats. The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) won one seat, Bharatiya Tribal Party won 2 seats and three independent candidates also won the people’s mandate.
4. (d) Maruti Suzuki
The Skill Development Ministry on 18 December 2017 signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoU) with Maruti Suzuki to impart training to youth and enhance their employment potential.The MoU aims to provide high employment potential trades related to automobile and manufacturing industry to youth under the Skill India Mission.
5. (b) US
The United States Federal Communications Commission voted along party lines on 14 December 2017 to repeal the 2015 Open Internet Order which protects net neutrality in the United States.The move is aimed at ensuring a free and open internet. Net neutrality requires all internet service providers (ISPs) to treat all data equally, without blocking or censoring services or websites.
6. (b) Sakshi Malik
Rio Olympic medallist, Sakshi Malik won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships, which were held in South Africa on 17 December 2017. She defeated New Zealand's Tayla Tuahine Ford by a score of 13-2 in the final of the 62kg women's freestyle category.
7. (a) India
According to UN World Migration Report (2018), India has largest diaspora in the world with more than 15.6 million people from India living overseas. Of the international migrants (people living outside the country of their birth) which was estimated at 243 million in 2015, the Indian diaspora constitutes nearly 6 per cent.
8. (b) Sebastian Pinera
Billionaire conservative Sebastian Pinera won the 2017 presidential election of Chile. With 98.44 per cent of the ballots counted, Pinera had won 54.57 per cent in the run-off vote against senator Guillier who won 45.43 per cent votes.
9. (c) Safe Migration in a World on the Move
The United Nations (UN) International Migrants Day is observed every year on 18 December to recognize the efforts, contributions, and rights of workers and members of their families worldwide. The 2017 theme is “Safe Migration in a World on the Move”
10. (d) Juan Orlando Hernandez
The electoral tribunal of Honduras has declared incumbent President Juan Orlando Hernandez as the official winner of the presidential vote that was held on 26 November 2017.
11. (a) Samsung
Samsung India entered into a partnership with UNESCO to launch virtual reality content and 360-degree videos on Indian heritage sites. The project will provide experiential educational content to students across the country.
12. (b) Smita Nagaraj
Smita Nagaraj was appointed as member of the Union Public Service Commission with effect from 1 December 2017 for a period of six years or until she attains the age of 65 years. Nagaraj is a 1984 batch IAS ocer of Tamil Nadu cadre.