7 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like 5th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Review, Ockhi Cyclone and Winter Olympics among others.
1. What Repo Rate was fixed by RBI in its 5th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Review (MPR) 2017-18?
a) 6.0 per cent
b) 6.25 per cent
c) 6.50 per cent
d) 6.75 per cent
2. Name the state that became the first to endorse Triple Talaq Draft Bill?
b) Uttar Pradesh
3. Mohamad Al Jounde was honoured with the International Children’s Peace Prize 2017 recently. He belongs to which country?
4. Name the operation launched recently to rescue the people affected by Ockhi Cyclone in India?
a) Operation Rahat
b) Operation Rescue
c) Operation Suraksha
d) Operation Synergy
5. Russia was banned by IOC from Winter Olympics. The Winter Olympics will be held at which place?
6. Adithyan, who passed away recently, belonged to which field?
7. India has signed MoU with which nation on cooperation in Agriculture and Phytosanitary issues?
8. India has signed MoU with which nation on cooperation in Health Sector?
9. Which country’s airline, Avior Airlines, has been banned from European Union skies?
10. Which country has been banned from competing at next year’s Winter Olympic Games?
a) North Korea
11. China has temporarily halted funding of road projects in which nation?
12. Which state government has signed a MoU with IT giant Hewlett Packard to provide tele-medicine facilities in the remote areas of the state?
a) Himachal Pradesh
c) Jammu and Kashmir
d) Arunachal Pradesh
1. (a) 6.0 per cent
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has kept the repo rate unchanged at 66.0 per cent and reverse repo at 5.756.0 per cent in its fifth bi-monthly monetary policy review for the year 2017-18 as it feared that inflation may top the central bank’s medium-term target of 46.0 per cent.
2. (b) Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh became the first state to endorse the draft bill of the Union Government that makes instant triple talaq a cognizable and non-bailable offence. As per the draft law, there is a three years imprisonment to a Muslim man who tries to divorce his wife by uttering "talaq" three times.
3. (c) Syria
Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria was honoured with the International Children’s Peace Prize 2017 for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children. Al Jounde, a refugee of the Syrian civil war, has set up a school together with his family in a Lebanese refugee camp that currently provides education to 200 children.
4. (d) Operation Synergy
In order to help and rescue the people affected during Ockhi cyclone, Operation Synergy was launched which has till now successfully rescued 793 fishermen.
5. (a) Pyeongchang
Russia’s Olympic Committee was banned from the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang and ordered to pay USD 15 million for making unprecedented attack on the integrity of the Olympic Games and sports. It is the first time the IOC has imposed a ban on a country competing under its own flag for doping.
6. (b) Music
Adithyan, the noted South Indian music director, passed away in Hyderabad on 6 December 2017. The musician is known for his numbers in films such as the super hit gangster flick Amaran, besides Seevalaperi Pandi, in the early 90s. He has scored music for many Telugu and Malayalam movies, the sources added.
7. (b) Italy
India and Italy signed a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in Agriculture and Phytosanitary issues on 6 December 2018. The agreement will replace the one signed in 2008. The agreement basically aims to provide a good framework for cooperation in the field of agriculture and phytosanitary issues.
8. (d) Cuba
India and Cuba on 6 December 2017 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for enhanced cooperation in the health sector. The main aim of the MoU is to establish a comprehensive inter-ministerial and inter-institutional cooperation between the two countries in the field of health.
9. (c) Venezuela
Venezuela's Avior Airlines has been banned from European Union skies after a commission determined it no longer meets international safety standards. The European Commission announced that Avior had been added to a list of international airlines prohibited from flying within the union because the European Aviation Safety Agency detected unaddressed safety deficiencies.
10. (c) Russia
The International Olympic Committee on 5 December 2017 banned Russia from competing at next year’s Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The ban follows an investigation into allegations of state-sponsored doping at the 2014 Games hosted by Russia in Sochi. However, Russian athletes who can prove they are clean would be allowed to compete in the tournament but under a neutral flag.
11. (a) Pakistan
China has decided to temporarily stop funding three major road projects in Pakistan, which were being built as a part of the $ 50 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. The decision follows reports of corruption. It is likely to impact over one trillion Pakistani rupees worth of road projects of Pakistan.
12. (b) Uttarakhand
The Uttarakhand government on 6 December 2017 signed a MoU with IT giant Hewlett Packard to provide tele-medicine facilities in the remote areas of the state. Under the agreement, the company will create tele-medicine facilities at four Community Health Centres. It is a part of the state government’s ongoing efforts to boost health facilities in the hills.