Dinesh Sharma, Additional Finance Secretary and India’s Governor to the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) was unanimously elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of IFAD for a period of two years in its 39th Session held on 17 February and 18 February 2016 in Rome, Italy.
The Governing Council Session of IFAD was marked by special focus on inclusive growth and on the investments required to meet the sustainable development goals in the realm of eradicating poverty and hunger.
About International Fund for Agriculture Development
• The International Fund for Agriculture Development was set-up in 1977 as the 13th Specialised Agency of the United Nations.
• It works towards removing poverty and hunger in rural areas all over the world.
• India is a founder member of IFAD and a key contributor among the member countries.
• It is managed by the two main governing bodies: the Governing Council and the Executive Board. The Governing Council is the highest decision making body and consists of 176 member countries.
• The President of the IFAD is Kanayo F. Nwanze from Nigeria, who was elected for a second four-year term in 2013.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Dinesh Sharma