The Department of Telecom (DoT) on 25 October 2017 simplified the process of linking Aadhaar number with the mobile number.
The department introduced three new methods to link the registered mobile number with Aadhaar Number. These simplified methods are OTP (One Time Password) based, App based and the IVRS facility.
• The new methods, OTP (One Time Password) based, App based and the IVRS facility, will help subscribers to get their mobile number linked to Aadhaar without visiting the stores of operators.
• As per the new guidelines, the telecom operators will provide an online mechanism for people to request such service and based on availability, visit will be scheduled leading to the completion of the Aadhaar – Mobile Number linking process.
• Considering senior citizens and the people with disability and chronic illness, DoT also recommended for the re-verification at subscribers’ doorstep.
• Subscribers can verify or re-verify their mobile numbers from anywhere in the country irrespective of which service area their mobile connection belongs to.
• The DoT also clarified that telecom service providers’ agent will not have access to the subscribers’ e-KYC data and will only be provided with the name and address of the subscribers.
What: Simplified by DoT
When: 25 October 2017