Dr Vijay Bhatkar appointed as Chancellor of Nalanda University
Dr Vijay Bhatkar was conferred with a number of awards such as Padma Bhushan, Padmashri and Maharashtra Bhushan.
President of India Pranab Mukherjee appointed Dr Vijay Bhatkar as the Chancellor of Nalanda University with effect from 25 January 2017.
Dr. Bhatkar will hold the office for a term of three years from the date of his appointment as provided under the Section 11 (3) of the Nalanda University Act, 2010.
About Dr Vijay Bhatkar
• He is one of the most acclaimed scientists and IT leaders of India.
• He is best known as the architect of India's first supercomputer PARAM.
• He is the founding Executive Director of C-DAC, India's national initiative in super computing.
• He is credited with the creation of several national institutions like C-DAC, ER&DC, IIITM-K, I2IT, ETH Research Lab, MKCL and India International Multiversity.
About Nalanda University
• The revived university is located at Rajgir in Nalanda District in Bihar.
• It is a non-state, non-profit, secular and self-governing international institution mandated to be engaged in the pursuit of intellectual, philosophical, historical and spiritual studies.
• It was established through Nalanda University Act, 2010 and formally inaugurated on 19 September 2014.
• The President of India is the Visitor of the Nalanda University.
About ancient Nalanda University
• The ancient Nalanda University was established in 427 AD during the reign of Gupta king Sakraditya.
• It was destroyed in 1193 AD by the Turkish army of the Bakhtiyar Khilji.
• Khilji was the military general of Qutb-ud-din Aibak’s army.