President of India Pranab Mukherjee appointed Dr Vijay Bhatkar as the Chancellor of Nalanda University with effect from 25 January 2017.
Dr. Bhatkar will hold the office for a term of three years from the date of his appointment as provided under the Section 11 (3) of the Nalanda University Act, 2010.
About Dr Vijay Bhatkar
• He is one of the most acclaimed scientists and IT leaders of India.
• He is best known as the architect of India's first supercomputer PARAM.
• He is the founding Executive Director of C-DAC, India's national initiative in super computing.
• He is credited with the creation of several national institutions like C-DAC, ER&DC, IIITM-K, I2IT, ETH Research Lab, MKCL and India International Multiversity.
About Nalanda University
• The revived university is located at Rajgir in Nalanda District in Bihar.
• It is a non-state, non-profit, secular and self-governing international institution mandated to be engaged in the pursuit of intellectual, philosophical, historical and spiritual studies.
• It was established through Nalanda University Act, 2010 and formally inaugurated on 19 September 2014.
• The President of India is the Visitor of the Nalanda University.
About ancient Nalanda University
• The ancient Nalanda University was established in 427 AD during the reign of Gupta king Sakraditya.
• It was destroyed in 1193 AD by the Turkish army of the Bakhtiyar Khilji.
• Khilji was the military general of Qutb-ud-din Aibak’s army.
Who: Dr Vijay Bhatkar
When: 25 January 2017