Pharma major Lupin on 16 September 2014 tied up with Germany-based biopharmaceutical firm Merck Serono. With this tie-up, Lupin aims to expand its portfolio initiative in emerging markets.
The agreement could add up to 20 new products to the current portfolio of the companies. The first launches are expected in 2016.
The partnership will majorly focus on cardiovascular and diabetes diseases with the perspective of covering markets such as Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, Philippines along with countries in Africa and Central Eastern Europe as well as the emerging markets.
Highlights of the deal
• Lupin will develop products, provide dossiers and supply finished products to Merck Serono.
• Merck Serono will be the marketing authorization holder for the products.
• Merck Serono will leverage its strong commercial and medical teams in emerging markets to bring new medicines in its portfolio to customers.
• Lupin will receive upfront and milestone-based licensing fee as part of the agreement.
• Merck Serono will expand its overall portfolio in core therapeutic areas of general medicine and endocrinology franchise in selected countries in Latin America, Asia, Central Eastern Europe, and Africa.
Headquartered in Mumbai, Lupin Limited was instituted in 1968 by Dr Desh Bandhu Gupta who is now the chairman of the company.
Lupin is an innovation led transnational pharmaceutical company which produces a wide range of quality, affordable generic and branded formulations.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.