Former Prime Minister of Nepal, Surya Bahadur Thapa died on 15 April 2015 in Gurgaon, Haryana. He was 87.
Thapa, who was suffering from cancer for some time, was undergoing treatment at Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon.
The former Chairman of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party (RRP) is survived by three daughters and a son. His son Sunil Bahadur Thapa is serving as the Minister of Commerce and Supplies in the Sushil Koirala-led coalition government.
Surya Bahadur Thapa
• In a political career of more than 50 years, he served as Prime Minister of Nepal for five times. He worked under three different kings and his terms were in 1963-64, 1965–69, 1979–83, 1997–98 and 2003-04.
• He had been the first Prime Minister of the Panchayat System.
• He started his political career by executing underground student movement in 1950.
• In 1958, he was elected to the assembly and became Chairman of the Advisory Council.
• In 1959, he was elected to the Upper House.
• Born in Muga village of Dhankuta district on 21 March 1928, Thapa completed his higher studies from Allahabad University.
What: Died at the age of 87
When: 15 April 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.