Former President Pranab Mukherjee on August 24, 2018 launched the National Electoral Transformation (NETA) mobile application to rate Members of Parliament (MPs) and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLAs).
'Neta - Leaders' Report Card' App, the brainchild of 27-year-old entrepreneur Pratham Mittal, is a platform where voters can review and rate their elected representatives and hold them accountable as well.
How the app works?
• To order to rate the representatives, the app requires a combination of mediums like the app itself, IVR calls, SMS and even offline activation.
• After downloading the app, one needs to put the pin number of the area that concerns a particular users and it shows a list of politicians from different parties who contested the last Lok Sabha elections.
• The app connects the users' profile with their constituency and present them the trending political discussions of the area.
• One can vote for a particular politician or skip this step to go ahead and use the other features of the app.
• The app also provides new leaders with an opportunity to showcase their popularity and catch the attention of political parties.
• The users of the app can also see which politician is ahead of others in terms of votes.
• Inspired by the United States’ approval system, the app is also being viewed as an instrument to determine voter sentiment across constituencies in the country.
• It is available on Andriod and iOS platforms and on web in 16 languages to cater to a diverse user profile.
The platform, in its beta version, has already registered over 1.5 crore verified voters. The App was first used during the February 2018 bypolls in Rajasthan’s Ajmer and Alwar constituencies, and later, it was used in Karnataka ahead of the Assembly Elections in May 2018.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider