Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer in the first week of June 2017 became the first Indian to be nominated as a member of the Umpires and Referees Committee (URC).
Following the AGM of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) early in June 2017, the Board of Directors of various committees met on the sidelines of the ongoing World Championships and handpicked the best in the business for the job.
The term of Iyer, who is the only assigned competition manager of International Table Tennis Federation, as URC member is for a period of two years and can be extended.
URC is the technical arm of the ITTF. It looks after all technical issues involving the sport. The mandate of the committee is to oversee the training, certification, appointment and performance of umpires and referees.
In another first, Iyer has also been recommended as the Technical Commissioner from the Asian Continent to ITTF and his term will be for a period of four years.
About Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer
• Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer also serves as the chairman of the South Asian Federation technical committee.
• He is also a member of the Technical Committee of the Commonwealth Table Tennis Federation.
• He had supervised the Asian Championships at Wuxi (China) as competition manager in May 2017.
• He was a deputy referee in the Kuala Lumpur World Championships 2016.
• He has also officiated in various International competitions as Competition Manger and Referee, including the Commonwealth Games at Glasgow in 2014.
When: First week of June 2017