Academician and journalist Ghanta Chakrapani was on 17 December 2014 appointed as the first Chairman of the Telangana State Public Service Commission (TSPSC). He will hold the TSPSC office for six years.
Chakrapani is presently the Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences at B.R. Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU).
• Born in Yaswada village of Telangana, Ghanta Chakrapani did his post-graduation in Sociology and Communication and Journalism from Osmania University.
• He worked in all the popular Telugu newspapers including Udayam, Andhra Jyothi before moving into academics.
• He has received national and international fellowships including the prestigious India China Institute fellowship and has worked on Globalisation and Inequalities in India and China.
• He published 12 books and 52 research articles. He also received the Best Teacher Award in 2014.
• Presently, he is writing Ghantapatham, a weekly column in Namasthe Telangana.
Earlier in August 2014, Telangana government notified a Government Order (GO No 43) for constitution of the Telangana State Public Service Commission (TSPSC).
According to the Article 315 of Indian Constitution and Section 83(2) of the Andhra Pradesh Re-Organisation Act, 2014 (Central Act.6/2014), it is provided for constitution of a Public Service Commission in the Successor State of Telangana after its bifurcation from Andhra Pradesh.
Who: Ghanta Chakrapani
When: 17 December 2014
Telangana Assembly Elections 2018: TRS wins sweeping majority for second straight term
Telangana’s Sadarmatt anicut, Pedda Cheruvu get Heritage Irrigation Structure status
Telangana Cabinet passes resolution to dissolve Legislative Assembly
Telangana launches life insurance scheme worth Rs 5 lakh for farmers