Justice Girish Chandra Gupta on 22 September 2016 was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
West Bengal Governor K.N. Tripathi administered the oath of office to Justice Gupta at the Raj Bhavan.
Justice Gupta replaced Manjula Chellur, who has taken over as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
Justice Gupta was functioning as the acting Chief Justice of the high court since 22 August 2016 after Chellur's transfer.
It is after 30 years that a sitting judge of the Calcutta High Court has been made its Chief Justice. On 1 November 1986, Justice Chittatosh Mookerje was elevated as the Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
About Justice Girish Chandra Gupta
• Justice Girish Chandra Gupta was born on 1 December 1954.
• He enrolled as an advocate on 20 September 1982.
• He practised in the Calcutta High Court for 17 years in civil, constitutional, company, arbitration and commercial matters.
• He was made a permanent Judge of the Calcutta High Court on 15 September 2000.
• He is slated to retire in December 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Girish Chandra Gupta
When: 22 September 2016