Google Doodle commemorated Kannada actor Rajkumar's 88th birthday
Google pays tribute to Kannada acting legend Rajkumar through a special doodle, preserving his legacy.
Search giant Google paid tribute to noted Kannada actor Rajkumar with a special doodle on 24 April 2017, on the occasion of the actor’s 88th birthday.
The doodle represented a larger-than-life image of Rajkumar, radiant and shining brightly from the big screen while the audience looks on.
• Born on 24 April 1929 in Gajanur, a hamlet in the present-day Erode district, Tamil Nadu, Rajkumar’s real name was Singanalluru Puttaswamayya Muthuraju.
• He joined the Kannada film industry at the age of eight and got his first break as the lead in the 1954 film ‘Bedara Kannappa’.
• With over 200 films to his name, he is considered as a cultural icon and holds an idol status in Kannada film industry.
• He is also widely acclaimed as one of the finest actors in the history of Indian cinema.
• Popular Bollywood actress Rekha made her debut with Rajkumar in a film titled ‘Jackpotnalli CID 999’ in 1969.
• Rajkumar is also the first Indian artist to enact the role of James Bond in a movie titled ‘Jedara Bale’.
• While Devataa Manushya was his 200th film, Shabdavedhi, which released in 2000, was his last film.
• He received the Padma Bhushan in 1983 and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for lifetime contribution to Indian cinema in 1995.
• He is also the recipient of several other acclaimed awards including 3 national awards and 13 Karnataka State Film Awards.
• He passed away on 12 April 12, 2006 after suffering from cardiac arrest at the age of 76.
Popularly referred to in Kannada as the Emperor of Actors or the Man of Gold, Rajkumar’s personal life was no less than a dramatic movie script. In 2000, he along with his son-in-law and two others were kidnapped from his farmhouse by Veerappan, the infamous dacoit. He was released 108 days later.
Overall, the Google tribute truly befits the legacy that the actor has left behind.