National football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu on 29 May 2016 became the first Indian to play top-tier European football league match. He turned out for Norwegian side Stabaek FC in Norwegian Premier League (Tippeligaen) .
About Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
• Gurpreet Singh Sandhu signed for Stabaek FC in 2014.
• He played his first Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League) for Stabaek FC on 29 may 2016 and helped the team to claim a dominant 5-0 triumph over IK Start.
• He was a surprise inclusion in the 2011 Asia Cup squad.
• He made his debut for the Indian national team against Turkmenistan in 2013.
• He was trained in the Tata Football Academy and represented India at the Under-19 and Under-23 levels.
Tippeligaen (Norwegian professional league)
• Tippeligaen is a Norwegian professional league for association football clubs.
• It is the country's primary football competition which was founded in 1937.
• It was called Norgesserien (The League of Norway) in its early days and later Hovedserien (The Main League).
• It was expanded to 12 teams in 1972 and the league was renamed Tippeligaen in 1990.
• The league is also known as Eliteserien or The Elite League.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 29 May 2016