Gurpreet Singh Sandhu becomes first Indian to play in Tippeligaen
He played his first Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League) for Stabaek FC on 29 may 2016 and helped the team to claim a dominant 5-0 triumph over IK Start.
National football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu on 29 May 2016 became the first Indian to play top-tier European football league match. He turned out for Norwegian side Stabaek FC in Norwegian Premier League (Tippeligaen) .
About Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
• Gurpreet Singh Sandhu signed for Stabaek FC in 2014.
• He played his first Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League) for Stabaek FC on 29 may 2016 and helped the team to claim a dominant 5-0 triumph over IK Start.
• He was a surprise inclusion in the 2011 Asia Cup squad.
• He made his debut for the Indian national team against Turkmenistan in 2013.
• He was trained in the Tata Football Academy and represented India at the Under-19 and Under-23 levels.
Tippeligaen (Norwegian professional league)
• Tippeligaen is a Norwegian professional league for association football clubs.
• It is the country's primary football competition which was founded in 1937.
• It was called Norgesserien (The League of Norway) in its early days and later Hovedserien (The Main League).
• It was expanded to 12 teams in 1972 and the league was renamed Tippeligaen in 1990.
• The league is also known as Eliteserien or The Elite League.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App