The Union Government on 5 May 2016 announced that the H.R. Nagendra Committee on Yoga Education in Universities has recommended seven programmes for implementation in universities.
The Union Government on 15 January 2016 had constituted a committee on yoga education in universities. The committee was headed by Professor H.R. Nagendra, Chancellor, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana, Samsthana, Bengaluru.
The committee had submitted its report on 19 April 2016.
Terms of Reference of the Committee:
• To identify the courses and programmes in Yogic Art and Science and the levels at which they can be offered
• To spell out the scope of programmes offered at Certificate, Diploma, Degree, Post Graduate Degree/Postgraduate Diploma and Research levels, and to develop broad details of the curriculum in core and elective courses thereof
• To prescribe the syllabus for conducting NET in Yogic Art and Science
• To determine the eligibility qualifications for students for joining Yoga Education Programme at different levels
• To prescribe the qualifications of faculty of Yoga in the colleges and universities and also to examine whether the existing qualifications in recruitment of the faculty in the colleges and universities as presently approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) will need amendments
• To identify universities where Departments of Yoga already exists and to consider whether they can be upgraded to be developed as Departments of Yogic Art and Science
• To suggest the names of National Level Yoga Centres whose expertise can be networked with the universities where the Departments of Yogic Arts and Science will be established
• To determine the modalities of further training for persons who may be recruited with their present background in the field of Yoga
• Any other issue considered relevant for the establishment of Department of Yogic Art and Science
Seven programmes recommended by the committee for implementation in universities are:
• Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY) of 6 to 12 months duration
• Bachelors of Science (Yoga)-BSc.(Yoga) of 3 to 6 years
• Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga (PGDY) of 1 to 2 years
• Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy(PGDYT) of 1 to 2 years
• Masters of Science (MSc.)- Yoga of 2 years to 4 years
• Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)-Yoga of 3 to 5 years
• Doctor of Philosophy (Integrated)- Yoga of 4 to 6 years
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 19 April 2016