The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar launched the National Digital Library of India (NDLI) on the occasion of the National Reading Day, on June 19, 2018.
This National Digital Library of India (NDLI) is a project of the Ministry of Human Resource Development under the aegis of National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT). It has been developed by IIT Kharagpur.
Objective: The main objective of the digital library is to make quality digital educational resources available to all citizens of the country to empower, inspire and encourage learning.
About National Digital library of India
• The NDL is a single window platform that collects and collates metadata from premier learning institutions in India and abroad, as well as other relevant sources.
• It is a digital repository containing textbooks, articles, videos, audio books, lectures, simulations, fiction and all other kinds of learning media.
• It is a 24x7 knowledge resource that is accessible to anyone with internet access and it is built to enable the rise of digital India.
• The library has 1.7 crore content from more than 160 sources, in over 200 languages.
• Users would be able to access the digital library anytime and anywhere absolutely free of cost.
• It was launched in pilot form in May 2016.
• The library can be accessed at ndp.iitkgp.ac.in. The user registration is open to users from around the world.
• Contents from some popular sources are only freely accessible to registered users.
• The library is also has a mobile app, which can be accessed by both iPhone and Android users.The App has been downloaded over 6.70 lakh times.
• Users can search for content using various parameters like subject matter, source, content type and more.
• Currently, the app is available in three languages – English, Hindi and Bengali.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.