The Union Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on 14 July 2016 signed a 100 million US dollars loan agreement to strengthen key irrigation and drainage system and improve water management in the Vennar sub-basin of the Cauvery delta in Tamil Nadu.
The financing will be used to strengthen embankments of six major irrigation water channels in the Vennar system and rehabilitate 13 irrigation pumping schemes.
Highlights of the Project
• The project aims to improve existing infrastructure and will provide flood protection and renewed access to irrigation.
• Flood forecasting and warning systems will be installed and a flood risks map drawn up to help communities respond more effectively to extreme events.
• The Water Resources Department of the State of Tamil Nadu is responsible for implementing the project.
• The loan from ADB’s ordinary capital resources has a 25-year term.
• The project is expected to be completed by December 2020.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: India and ADB
When: 14 July 2016