India and China on 16 September 2013 agreed to initiate steps to include Media cooperation as part of 2014 celebrations being observed to commemorate Friendly Exchanges between these two countries.
The agreement was a part of the first meeting of the India-China Media Forum being held in New Delhi. The meeting took place between Manish Tewari, Minister for Information & Broadcasting of India and Cai Ming Zhao, Minister of State Council Information Office of China.
Major points agreed upon during the meeting
• As a part of the agreement, India and China agreed to proactively consider steps to promote high level media exchanges and facilitation between the two nations.
• Apart from this, it was also agreed to outline a roadmap to include specific projects and proposals as part of the initiative under the Media domain to be considered under activities to mark the commemoration of the Friendly Exchanges.
• During the discussions between the two delegations it was also agreed to explore possible areas of cooperation in the field of Capacity Building, Co-production Agreements related to Films, sharing of the experience of institutionalizing Digitisation in the Broadcasting sector and enhanced participation during the Film Festivals being held in both countries.
• It was also suggested that all possible areas could be identified under the aegis of the Working Group set up between the two countries.
• In view of the vibrant Media and Entertainment industry in both countries, both sides also agreed to share experiences with regard to strategy, policy initiatives, innovation and implementation across different media platforms.
During the meeting, Cai Ming Zhao, Minister of State Council Information Office of China also extended an invitation to Manish Tewari (Minister of I&B, India) to visit China in 2014 as part of the celebrations to observe 2014- as the Year of Friendly Exchanges.
It is important to note that the Chinese minister is on the visit to India to participate in the first meeting of the India-China Media Forum being held in New Delhi on 16 September 2013.