India and Morocco sign revised Air Services Agreement enabling greater connectivity
Indian designated carriers can operate any number of services to/from Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakesh, Agadir, Tangier and Fez in Morocco and similarly Morocco can operate any number of services to/from New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangaluru and Hyderabad.
India and Morocco on September 19, 2018 signed the revised Air Services Agreement enabling greater connectivity between the two countries through a modernised agreement.
The delegation of the two countries has earlier met thrice wherein they have worked towards liberalisation of markets between the two countries and towards updating the existing Air Services Agreement.
Following the high level discussions, the two sides cleared the legal and technical difficulties and agreed to a modern new text for the Air Services Agreement. Thereafter, the respective governments approved the updated Air Services Agreement.
The updated Air Services Agreement was formally signed during the visit of Mohammed Sajid, Moroccan Minister of Tourism, Air Transport, Handicraft and Social Economy. Union Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu signed the agreement for the Indian side.
Revised Air Services Agreement
• The revised agreement is enabler for greater air connectivity between India and Morocco.
• It will enable the airlines of each side to enter into code share with airlines of other party, as well as provide greater freedom in mounting direct flights.
• The designated Airline of each party can enter into cooperative marketing arrangements with the designated carriers of same party, other party and that of a third party.
• This agreement allows designated airlines of either countries to establish offices in the territory of other country for the promotion and sale of air services.
• The designated airlines of the both countries can operate any number of services to/from the six points specified in the Route Schedule.
• Indian designated carriers can operate any number of services to/from Casablanca, Rabat, Marrakesh, Agadir, Tangier and Fez in Morocco and similarly Morocco can operate any number of services to/from New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangaluru and Hyderabad.
• These developments in the Civil Aviation sector will enable the people of each country to travel to the other country, thus, leading to better economic and cultural ties.
The Air Services Agreement signifies an important landmark in the civil aviation relations between India and Morocco and has the potential to spur greater trade, investment, tourism and cultural exchanges between the two countries.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week