India and Jordon on 11 October 2015 inked six Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) in various fields in Amman. The MoUs were signed as part of the President Pranab Mukherjee's state visit to Jordan.
Mukherjee was on a three-day visit to Jordan from 10-12 October 2015. He visited the country on the invitation of His Majesty King Abdullah-II Ibn Al Hussein of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
During the visit, Mukherjee was accompanied by Thaawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Members of Parliament and the learned members of the academic community, apart from official delegation and media representatives.
List of agreements/MoUs signed during the visit of President to Jordan
• Agreement on Maritime Transport: Aimed at establishment of effective co-operation on the basis of shared commitment, and convinced on strengthening and development of relations in merchant shipping and maritime transport.
• MoU on exchange of information on structure and content of training programmes for diplomats: This will include identification of experts in mutually agreed areas, promotion of contacts and exchange of trainees, students, faculty members and experts.
• MoU on Cooperation in the field of IT & Electronics: This seeks to examine ways and means to promote and strengthen bilateral cooperation and will seek to implement institutional and capacity building cooperation programme.
• Cultural Exchange Programme for 2015-17: Recalling the Cultural Agreement signed on 15 February 1976, it seeks to further develop and promote cultural, scientific and technical relation. It also looks forward on the agreement on the Executive Programme in the fields of Art & culture, Mass media etc.
• MoU for Cooperation in the fields of Standardization and Conformity Assessment: The MoU between the Bureau of Indian Standards [BIS] and the Jordan Standards and Metrology Organization [JSMO] seeks to enhance and strengthen technical co-operation in the fields of standardization, and conformity assessment with the aim of exchanging necessary information and expertise between the Parties.
• Cooperation Agreement between Jordan News Agency [Petra] and Press Trust of India [PTI]: It seeks to establish regular exchange of content on the developments; promotion of mutual cooperation and professional interaction, agreement on exchange of news through the internet; accepting the right to use the said news for distribution to their subscribers.
Earlier during the visit, President Mukherjee inaugurated a street named after Mahatma Gandhi in Amman and planted an Olive tree in peace park. The Indian President held a meeting with the Jordan Prime Minister Dr Abdulla Ensour.
Both leaders agreed that terrorism must be fought on multiple fronts and it is not enough to talk only in terms of some actors. The two leaders discussed various regional and international issues including Syria and Palestine.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: India and Jordon
What: Inked six MoUs
When: 11 October 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.