Pune-based diabetes specialist Shashank S Shah was conferred with the Vivian Fonseca Scholar Award 2016 on 12 June 2016. He was awarded at the ADA’s 76th Scientific Sessions from 10 June to 14 June 2016 in New Orleans.
The award was given by American Diabetes Association (ADA) for his pioneering research on diabetes in South Asia.
He was selected for his research titled Gastric Bypass vs. Medical/Lifestyle Care for Type 2 Diabetes in South Asia with BMI 25-40 kg/m2 — The COSMID Randomised. It is one of the pioneering bariatric surgeons in India and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy in Asia.
The first Vivian Fonseca Scholar Award was awarded to Dr Vijay Viswanathan who was Diabetologist and Director of MV Hospital for Diabetes, Chennai in June 2014
About Shashank S Shah
• He was born in Solapur, Maharashtra and is the current director of Laparo-Obeso Centre in Pune.
• He is the first and only Indian to head three major international societies on diabetes, namely AIAARO (All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity), Obesity Surgery Society of India (OSSI) and IEF (International Excellence Federation, India Chapter).
• He also holds a world record for conducting 45 hernia surgeries in 10 hours.
About ADA’s meetings
• This is the world’s largest medical conference in which more than 2500 original research presentations by the participants around the world and also gives them an opportunity to interact with leading diabetes experts and other join academic sessions.
• ADA is leading the fight to combat the diabetes since 1940 through research, managing and curing the lifestyle disease, community services, awareness programmes and prevention.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.