Indian American professor Rakesh K Jain on 19 May 2016 received the US National Medal of Science from the US President Barack Obama.
He received the honour along with 16 other winners of the National Medal of Science and National Medal of Technology and Innovation at a White House ceremony.
Jain is a professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Tumour Biology Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital.
He was selected for the award in December 2015. The award function was initially scheduled for 22 January 2016 but was postponed due to a major snow storm.
About Professor Rakesh K Jain
• He holds a B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology- Kanpur.
• He is regarded as a pioneer in the area of tumour micro-environment and widely recognized for his seminal discoveries in tumour biology, drug delivery, in vivo imaging and bioengineering.
• His work includes uncovering the barriers to the delivery and efficacy of molecular and nano-medicines in tumours and developing new strategies to overcome these barriers.
• A mentor to more than 200 students from over a dozen different disciplines, he has received 75 awards from engineering and medical professional societies and institutions.
• He is a member of all three branches of the US National Academies- the National Academy of Medicine, the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
• In 2014, he was chosen as one of 50 oncology luminaries on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
About National Medal of Science
• The National Medal of Science was created by statute in 1959 and is administered for the White House by the National Science Foundation.
• Awarded annually, the Medal recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to science and engineering.
• It is considered as the United States' highest honour for achievement and leadership in advancing the fields of science and technology.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 19 May 2016