James Bond actor Roger Moore passed away at 89
Former James Bond star Roger Moore passed away at the age of 89 after a short but brave battle with cancer.
Former James Bond star Roger Moore passed away in Switzerland on 23 May 2017 after a brief battle with cancer. He was 89.
The actor’s family confirmed the news by releasing a statement on his official twitter page, which read “It is with a heavy heart that we must announce our loving father, Sir Roger Moore, has passed away today in Switzerland after a short but brave battle with cancer. The love with which he was surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified in words alone.”
The family would be hosting a private funeral for the actor in Monaco as per his wishes.
About Roger Moore
• He played the iconic role of James Bond after Sean Connery announced that he would no longer be playing the part.
• Moore became the longest-running Bond, as he acted in seven films between 1973 and 1985 including in ‘Live and Let Die’ in 1973 and ‘A View to a Kill’ in 1985.
• He also played Simon Templar in television series ‘The Saint’ between 1962 and 1969.
• He was also very passionate about his humanitarian work with the UNICEF. He was introduced to the charity work by late Audrey Hepburn.
• He became the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 1991and worked mainly to protect children’s rights.
• He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2003 for services to charity.
• He was also appointed as a Commander of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Government in 2008.
• He is survived by his wife Kristina Tholstrup and three children.