Japanese Cabinet adopted resolution to end 60 years of pacifism
Japan on 1 July 2014 ended the 60 years of pacifism giving Army the option to exercise force.
Japan on 1 July 2014 ended the 60 years of pacifism giving Army the option to exercise force. The resolution towards this was adopted by Japanese Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Shizo Abe.
The Cabinet resolution laid down certain scopes or minimum degree under which Japan can exercise force and they are:
- Threat to the existence of the Japanese State
- In case there is a clear danger to the people’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness could be subverted and there is no appropriate alternative
- Defensive support to the US forces under attack in vicinity of Japan
- Co-operating military with US forces to safeguard the citizens of Japan at risk overseas
- During the time of war, it will participate in minesweeping activities
- Deployment of the Japanese forces to protect access to energy supplies or critically important sea-lanes of communication vital for Japan’s survival
With the end of pacifism in Japan imposed by the Article 9 of the 1947 Constitution, Japanese armed forces will become more aligned with the militaries of other advanced nations in terms of its options. The resolution also provides relation limits on activities in UN led peace-keeping operations and grey zone incidents short of full-scale war.
Now the country’s military can go for collective self-defence or can aid a friendly country under attack.
War-renouncing Article 9 of the Constitution of Japan had limited Japan’s ability to defend itself. Article 9 restricted the nation from building a military any larger than it needs for self-defence of its immediate geographic area. The post-war Constitution, also barred Japan from using force to resolve conflicts except in cases of self-defence.
This step of allowing the military to fight abroad has brought worries among many Japanese voters and has riled China, which has had strangled relation with China over the maritime row.
Whereas, the United States that defeated Japan in the World War II has welcomed the Japanese move and said that this step would nurture the US-Japan alliance more effective. The US is a close ally of Japan with a security cooperation treaty. The reason that made Japan depended on the US for its defence was the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between Japan and the United States.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group