Joko Widodo on 20 October 2014 was sworn in as seventh president of Indonesia. Widodo emerged as the winner with 53 percent of the votes and defeated his rival Prabowo Subianto, a former general from the era of authoritarian ruler Suharto.
Joko Widodo who belongs to Indonesian Democratic Party will serve a five-year term as the Indonesia President along with Jusuf Kalla, a businessman and onetime vice president under Mr. Yudhoyono.
Both Widodo and Jusuf Kalla were sworn in at the national legislature before local leaders and visiting foreign dignitaries.
Widodo replaced Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono who stepped down after serving a maximum of 10 years.
• Born in 1961, Mr Joko grew up in the Central Java city of Solo as a son of wood-seller.
• After graduating with a forestry degree in 1985, Joko set up a business supplying wood flooring, before settling into manufacturing furniture.
• He began his political career with the PDI-P party when he was elected as the mayor of Solo in 2005.
• In 2010, he was re-elected as the mayor of Solo for second term with more than 90 percent of the vote.
• In 2012, he was elected as the governor of Jakarta which made him a contender for presidency.
Who: Joko Widodo
When: 20 October 2014