Kamal Haasan chosen for France’s Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres
The Ordre des Arts et des Lettres is an Order of France, established on 2 May 1957 by the Minister of Culture. Its purpose is the recognition of significant contributions to the arts, literature, or the propagation of these fields.
The Minister of Culture and Communication, France, in the third week of August 2016 selected Kamal Haasan for the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et Lettres (Knight in the National Order Arts and Letters).
The distinction is in recognition of his high level of artistic excellence and his distinguished career achievements.
Haasan is the second Tamil star after thespian Sivaji Ganesan to be honored with the prestigious French award.
About Kamal Haasan
• Kamal Haasan is an Indian film actor, screenwriter and director.
• He has won several Indian film awards including four National Film Awards and 19 Filmfare Awards.
• He has starred in the highest number of films submitted by India for the Academy Award Best Foreign Language Film.
• His breakthrough as a lead actor came in the 1975 drama Apoorva Raagangal.
• He won his first National Film Award for his portrayal of a guileless schoolteacher who cares for a childlike amnesiac in Moondram Pirai.
• He was honoured with the Padma Shri in 1990 and the Padma Bhushan in 2014.
About Chevalier de L’Ordre Arts et Lettres
• The Ordre des Arts et des Lettres is an Order of France, established on 2 May 1957 by the Minister of Culture.
• Its purpose is the recognition of significant contributions to the arts, literature, or the propagation of these fields.
• Its origin is attributed to the Order of Saint-Michel as acknowledged by French government sources.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App