Senior IPS officer Karnal Singh on 26 October 2016 was appointed the Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED).
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet approved the appointment of Singh till 31 August 2017, which is the date of his superannuation.
Singh was already holding the post as additional charge for over a year. His regular posting was Special Director, ED, for the northern region.
About Enforcement Directorate
• The Directorate General of Economic Enforcement is a law enforcement agency and economic intelligence agency responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic crime in India.
• It is a part of the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
• It comprises officers of the Indian Revenue Service, Indian Police Service and the Indian Administrative Service.
• The origin of this Directorate dates back to 1 May, 1956, when an Enforcement Unit was formed, in Department of Economic Affairs, for handling Exchange Control Laws violations under Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1947.
• In the year 1957, this Unit was renamed as Enforcement Directorate.
Who: Karnal Singh
When: 26 October 2016