Konkona Sen Sharma in the first week of May 2017 grabbed the top honours at the 2017 New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF).
Konkona won the Best Director award for her directorial debut A Death in the Gunj and the Best Actress award for Lipstick Under My Burkha at 2017 NYIFF.
A Death in the Gunj is a drama thriller, which stars Kalki Koechlin, Vikrant Massey, Jim Sarbh and Tanuja. The film also features one of the last performances by veteran actor Om Puri, who passed away in January 2017.
About Konkona Sen Sharma
• Born on 3 December 1979, Konkona Sen Sharma is an Indian actress and director.
• She is the daughter of veteran filmmaker and actress Aparna Sen.
• She mainly appears in Indian arthouse and independent films.
• She made her debut as a child artist in the film Indira in the year 1983.
• She debuted as an adult in the Bengali thriller Ek Je Aachhe Kanya in the year 2000.
• She first gained attention with the English-language film Mr. and Mrs. Iyer, for which she received the National Film Award for Best Actress.
• Her appearance in Page 3 got her wider recognition from audiences.
• For the film Omkara, she won a second National Award under the Best Supporting Actress category.
• She was the first recipient of the Best Actress award at the Filmfare Awards East for her work in the Bengali film Goynar Baksho.
About New York Indian Film Festival
• The New York Indian Film Festival is an annual film festival that takes place in New York City.
• It screens films relating to India, the Indian Diaspora, and the work of Indian filmmakers.
• The festival began in November 2001 as the Indo-American Arts Council Film Festival (IAAC).
• It was founded by Aroon Shivdasani and the Indo-American Arts Council.
Who: Konkona Sen Sharma
When: First week of May 2017
Chhattisgarh Governor Balramji Das Tandon passes away
Government dismisses Allahabad Bank CEO Usha Ananthasubramanian from service
Private companies need to disclose compliance under Sexual Harassment at Workplace Act: Government
IRDAI constitutes working group to review norms for insurance surveyors