Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft on 12 May 2017 successfully fired Derby Air-to-Air BVR missile in RADAR guided mode, demonstrating an Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile firing capability.
The flawless launch was demonstrated with all onboard systems performing up to the mark and the missile scored a direct hit on the target, completely destroying it.
• The launch was performed in Lock ON after Launch mode for a BVR target in the look down mode and the target was destroyed.
• The objective of the test was to assess the Derby integration with aircraft systems on-board Tejas including the aircraft avionics, fire-control radar, launchers and Missile Weapon Delivery System and verify its performance.
• The Derby test was conducted on a Manoeuvrable Aerial Target at the Interim Test Range (ITR), Chandipur.
• The sensors at ITR also tracked the target and missile.
• A safe separation was followed by missile guidance towards the RADAR acquired target.
The firing of the Beyond Visual Range Missile is a major step towards clearing BVR capabilities on LCA aircraft for FOC.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.