Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag designated as the Vice Chief of Army Staff
Eastern Army Command, Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag was designated as the Vice Chief of Army Staff. He will take over on 31 December 2013.
Eastern Army Command, Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag on 12 December 2013 was designated as the Vice Chief of Army Staff (VCoAS). He will take over from Lieutenant General SK Singh as the Vice Chief of Army Staff retires on 31 December 2013.
He will be replaced by Lieutenant General MMS Rai at the Kolkata based Eastern Army Command. Lieutenant General Arun Kumar Sahni will head the Jaipur-based Southwestern Army Command.
It is expected that, Lieutenant General Suhag by seniority after the post of Vice Chief of Army Staff would succeed as the Chief of the Indian Army Staff, after the retirement of General Bikram Singh on 31 July 2014.
Earlier, the former Army Chief V K Singh in 2012 imposed a promotion ban on him for disciplinary reasons. The ban was later lifted by Gen Bikram Singh.
About Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag
• He joined the National Defence Academy in 1970 and in June 1974 he was commissioned into the 4/5 GR (FF)
• In Op Pawan in Sri Lanka, he has served as the company commander
• He has commanded the 53 Infantry Brigade that was involved in the counter insurgency operations in the Kashmir Valley
• He also commanded the 8 Mountain Divisions in Jammu & Kashmir
• In plains, he has also commanded the armoured engineer regiment
• He has also commanded the mountain brigade in Northeast and also the Rashtriya Rifles Force in Jammu and Kashmir
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group