6 December: Mahaparinirwan Diwas
Mahaparinirwan Diwas was observed across India on 6 December 2014. On this day, followers of B R Ambedkar paid tribute to him.
6 December is observed as Mahaparinirwan Diwas across India to mark the death anniversary of Dr B R Ambedkar.
Dr B R Ambedkar was fondly known as messiah of the marginalised people and also the Father of the Indian Constitution had died on 6 December 1956.
About Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
• Dr BR Ambedkar is popularly known as Babasaheb
• He was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer who inspired the Modern Buddhist Movement and campaigned against social discrimination of Dalits, women and labour
• He was Independent India's first law minister and the principal architect of the Constitution of India
• In 1956 he converted to Buddhism, initiating mass conversions of Dalits
• In 1990, Ambedkar was posthumously conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award
• Ambedkar was born on 14 April 1891 into a poor low Mahar caste in the town and military cantonment of Mhow in Madhya Pradesh
Who: Mahaparinirwan Diwas
Where: across India
When: 6 December 2014
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.