Maharashtra government started helpline for distressed adolescents
This helpline has been set up under the aegis of National Adolescent Health Programme, which is a part of the National Health Mission.
The State Government of Maharashtra on 10 March 2015 started a helpline 18002332688 to address the social, physical and psychological issues faced by adolescents.
The helpline was inaugurated by Amruta Fadnavis, the wife of the Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis.
This helpline has been set up under the aegis of National Adolescent Health Programme (Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram) which was launched on 7 January 2014 as a part of the National Health Mission.
Features of the helpline and its benefits
• Expert counsellors, one male and one female will be available between 10 am and 6 pm on the toll free number 18002332688
• The service can be accessed from across the state
• Identity of the callers will be kept secret and thus it will allow them to freely discuss their issues with the counselor in complete confidence
• The helpline will be useful platform for teenagers who are too shy or embarrassed to talk about their problems with their parents, siblings or friends leading to serious consequences
• The experts will guide adolescents between the ages of 10 and 19 on all issues related to exam stress, harmful side-effect of drugs, tobacco and alcohol, reproductive health, pregnancy, contraceptives and sexual harassment