Telangana and Maharashtra on 8 March 2016 signed 5 Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) to facilitate construction of irrigation barrages across the River Godavari and its tributary Penganga.
The MoUs were signed by Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Telangana Devendra Fadnavis and K Chandrashekar Rao respectively in Mumbai.
Highlights of MoUs
• An inter-state water board will be formed to oversee implementation of previously agreed and future inter-state river projects on Godavari.
• It will oversee the implementation of the Godavari Water Disputes Tribunal award of 1979.
• The chairmanship and vice-chairmanship of the board will be held by chief ministers of respective States in rotation manner in alternative years.
• Ministers and secretaries of various departments of two States will be the members of the board.
• The head office of the board will be located in Hyderabad.
• Among other projects, the board will oversee the implementation of following –
1) Lendi Project
2) Pranahita Project (tummidi hatti project), Kaleshwaram Project (Medigadda barrage)
3) Barrage on Penganga, a tributary of Godavari, at Raju Peta
4) Barrage on Penganga at Chanaka-Korata
5) Lower Penganga project
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 8 March 2016
Telangana Assembly Elections 2018: TRS wins sweeping majority for second straight term
Telangana’s Sadarmatt anicut, Pedda Cheruvu get Heritage Irrigation Structure status
Telangana Cabinet passes resolution to dissolve Legislative Assembly
Telangana launches life insurance scheme worth Rs 5 lakh for farmers